Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Can you buy a shotgun the day you turn 18? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/can-you-buy-shotgun-day-you-turn-18-a-85613/)

hq357 03-02-2013 08:50 PM

Can you buy a shotgun the day you turn 18?

My cousin is planing to buy himself a shotgun for his 18th birthday so we can shoot some clay/ hunt together but his parents are not too fond of him owning one since he's barley going to be 18 so he wants to know if i can take him but i am not his guardian or parent and i work that day so can he just buy one by himself on his birthday? He has never had problems with the law. i suggested he get the mossberg 500 security/field combo or a 22lr are these good suggestions?

Sniper03 03-02-2013 09:00 PM

Yes Sir,

'He is allowed to purchase a shotgun or a rifle on his 18th Birthday with proof of ID and age. Just be sure he does the paperwork for the shotgun. He would have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a store. I guess he could always keep it at your house if it is going to cause a problem at home. On the other hand if he took Dad Clay Shooting he might find the attitude could change!
After all you can enlist in the US Military at 18!

readygirl 03-02-2013 09:11 PM

As long as you dont live in DC, Hawaii, or Illinois, he is good to go. I strongly suggest a gun safety class for both of you, and i would think twice about side-stepping his parents. Even though he is 18, still..."their house,their rules"

readygirl 03-02-2013 10:01 PM

And yea.. the mossy 500 would be great, alot of versatility there as you can add barrels/accys. Everyone should own one....so why not make it your first gun, and build your arsenal from there.......

25-5 03-02-2013 10:26 PM

As long as he has not translated a "no", into "not to fond of", I would suggest finding a trap/skeet range to get instruction on safety and shotgun. Make sure the instructor is certified so he can get the proper certification docs. Same deal different range if for rifle. Be safe, be careful, be safe, and have fun.

kiabe1 03-03-2013 05:17 AM

Yes you can as long as you have no criminal record

unclebear 03-03-2013 05:41 AM

I picked up my shotgun right after I had my cake, my dad, my brother in law, and me ran down to the armory and picked it up. Quick back round check, some cash changing hands and it was off we went to shoot the thing. All and all pretty awesome 18th bday.

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-03-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear
I picked up my shotgun right after I had my cake, my dad, my brother in law, and me ran down to the armory and picked it up. Quick back round check, some cash changing hands and it was off we went to shoot the thing. All and all pretty awesome 18th bday.

No 10 day waiting? What state you live in because I'm moving!

kiabe1 03-03-2013 10:12 PM

You should move to texas. The land where the day you turn 18 you can buy an anti material rifle but cant buy a handgun

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-03-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiabe1
You should move to texas. The land where the day you turn 18 you can buy an anti material rifle but cant buy a handgun

Anything has to be better than the Comifornia laws I have to deal with