Can point of aim be changed on a shotgun barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can point of aim be changed on a shotgun barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can point of aim be changed on a shotgun barrel?

Howdy,
I have a model 11 remington with a solid rib that may possibly have a barrel from a different gun on it, since the rib and front sight don't seem to be high enough to match the receiver and it doesn't shoot where it's pointed. Can a gunsmith somehow change the point of aim and possibly resize the full choke to a modified?
Thanks,
JBJ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Rude Dude, usually on a shot gun your point of aim can be improved by altering the stock. Changing the cast on the stock is one of the three steps that will alter your point of aim. There are a couple more technical terms for parts of the stock and they might be drop and pitch , although, I could be wrong. Anyway, you need to consult a gun/stock smith before going any further. If I can dig up an article on stocks I'll forward it to you. HJ

A gun smith should be able to thread the barrel so you can install screw-in chokes.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-30-2009 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Mo Info

Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here it is and I hope it helps. Its kind of involved but this is what I needed to do to improve the aim on a shot gun I owned and then I traded it off for a evil black gun and the rest is history. HJ and TT

Pitch - The angle of the butt of a gun in relation to the line of sight. In America, pitch is measured by resting the gun with its butt flat on a floor, the top of the receiver against a wall and its muzzle pointing up. The distance of the muzzle from the wall is the gun's pitch down. In England, pitch is determined by measuring the length of pull, separately, to each of the heel, the middle of butt and the toe.\

Cast Off - An offset of a gun stock to the right, so that the line of sight aligns comfortably with the right eye while the butt of the stock rests comfortably on the right shoulder. Almost all right-handed shooters benefit from a little castoff and most custom built guns are made this way. The only question is how much. The castoff of a gun is about right when, with the gun comfortably mounted, the front bead lines up with the center of the standing breech. A stock offset to the left, for shooting from the left shoulder is said to be Cast On.

Drop - The distance from an imaginary straight line of sight extended along the rib of a shotgun rearward towards the butt---to the top of the stock at the comb or the heel. (In British: Bend). All drop measurements in Hallowell & Co. listings are taken at the heel; that is, the distance between the imaginary straight line of sight and the stock at its very end. We will be happy to provide the drop measurement at the comb upon request.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-30-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Didn't quite fill the page up.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58evinrude View Post
Howdy,
I have a model 11 remington with a solid rib that may possibly have a barrel from a different gun on it, since the rib and front sight don't seem to be high enough to match the receiver and it doesn't shoot where it's pointed. Can a gunsmith somehow change the point of aim and possibly resize the full choke to a modified?
Thanks,
JBJ
Yes, you can change point of impact a few different ways.

Yes, at least 5 ways I can think of to get it to a modified choke.

Worth the expense on a Mdl 11 Remington? Probably not.
Find the local shotgun smith---asking at the trap club and gun shops is
a place to start.