Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can I shoot slugs in these barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you shoot for practice, be sure to use a rest AND EXTRA PADDING FOR YOUR SHOULDER AS RECOIL CAN REALLY GET TO YOU.
One can develop a real flinch in a hurry which will be difficult to get over.
You may want to start with 2 3/4 inch reduced recoil slugs- Remington and Fiocchi make them.
After you gain confidence and can hold all your shots within a 6 inch circle at 50 yards you may want to try different slug brands as each gun has it preferences. You may want to try a few shots with the full barrel as some shotguns will handle slugs well.
The 26 inch barrel is probably the best choice for quick swinging in heavier cover however
The extra velocity heavy loads really do not add anything sufficient except recoil, especially at 50 yards.
When you finally finish tuning, you may want to try Bernneke slugs as they have a reputation for accuracy, especially through open chokes.
One last item, you may want to consider a low power scope or at least some sort of rifle sights as the beads on most shotguns are not adequate for accurate aiming and a quick efficient kills which one owes the animal.
Have fun, don't abuse your shoulder, challenge yourself, and happy hunting.
These are just some ideas that I have found useful.
DO NOT THINK YOU CAN SHOOT 25 + SHOTS IN A SESSION AND NOT FEEL PAIN= FLINCH

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

At one time the majority of pump and single shot field shotguns came with modified chokes. The rifling on a rifled slug was designed to compress going through a choke. Some choked barrels can be more accurate than cylinder bore barrels because the choke will impart some spin but rifled slugs are actually designed with their weight forward to keep them flying true and do not depend on spin. They will get little or no spin in a cylinder bore. Do not shoot round ball loads through choked barrels as they do not compress easily and can damage the choke.
If someone is looking for a do all shotgun, it is hard to beat a 20" barreled pump with an adjustable choke like the Polychoke added on. They worked very well but people did not like the bulge on the end of the barrel. Purists. Polychoke is still around and they will cut your barrel to whatever length you prefer and install a choke for you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #13

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

and i can shoot buckshot 00 threw both barrels correct?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

These are an accurate slug from a smooth bore with IC choke, 3/4" at 30y.

Ignore the hole at the right, that was a Lee 1oz.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
and i can shoot buckshot 00 threw both barrels correct?
Yes that's safe

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I visited the Brenneke website:

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_classic_magnum.html?&L=0%22).

They state their slugs can be shot out of ANY choke and either or rifled or smooth bore shotguns.

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.