Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can I shoot slugs in these barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Can I shoot slugs in these barrels?

i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot slugs threw these? and wich is better slug barrel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3787 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 3173

Call Mossberg. Number on Mossberg website. They are very helpful. Go to the source when dealing with older weapons. I honestly think you can, but there is no rifling. This will make it not as accurate as say a Remington Deer Shotgun, which should only use slugs to not ruin the rifling. I have used slugs in my Mossberg 590 Mariner. I have taken down some huge boar with slugs at an accurate 30 to 40 meter shots with no problem.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1002 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot slugs threw these? and wich is better slug barrel?
The imp. cyl. would be the better of the two, using rifled slugs.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Birch,

As Gator advised, the best choice for slugs would be the Imp. Cylinder! They will shoot slugs very well! I have a Remington 870 that will hit a Clay Target every time at 50 yards. So your Mossberg 500 should do the same also being a good quality shotgun. My first Duck and Goose Gun was a 500 12 Ga. Mag. Mossberg which was a fine gun! It is still in the family my nephew has it!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Usually it is recommended to use no tighter choke than modified for slug use. And that would be for rifled slugs and not Sabot types. So, Cylinder, Improved cylinder, and modified. Not saying that it can't be done in others, just ther recommendations I have heard, and I have never pushed them through anything tighter than improved cylinder.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #6

or would it be better to get a rifeld slug barrel for it?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery
or would it be better to get a rifeld slug barrel for it?
A rifled barrel would be the most accurate if you bought one. But I'd at least try a rifled slug in your ic barrel and see how accurate it is at a distance you'd be happy with.. Go from there.
I shoot rifled slugs from mine out of a smooth bore barrel for deer hunting at my property and they are quite accurate at 50 yards. Never really tried farther due to my yard being so thick with brush..

Old 03-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2257 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Definately the IC barrel. The full choke will likely give less than satisfactory results.

As far as shot (bird or buck) through a rifled barrel? How on earth will this damage the rifling?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

thanks i was just curious as am goin to practic with it for deer huntin next year slugs are cheap cheap so should i just get rifel slugs/ sabot slugs are for rifel barrel correct?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #10

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
thanks i was just curious as am goin to practic with it for deer huntin next year slugs are cheap cheap so should i just get rifel slugs/ sabot slugs are for rifel barrel correct?
Right rifled slugs are for smooth barrels & sabots are only for rifled barrels.
But if you need any more distance from your gun than 50 to 75 yds go pick up a rifled slug barrel. With the right ammo in a slug barrel you can easily take deer at 200yds. I know because this is the combination I use.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton