Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Can anyone recommend a reflex sight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone recommend a reflex sight?

I've looked at quite a few, but would like to know if anyone has had positive/negative expereience with any in particular.

My preference would be for something like the meprolight or trijicon, with self illuminating tritium or some method of low light ability.

Another I've considered is burris, like the fastfire.

Usage would be a 12 ga. Hunting using doule 00 or rifled slug. I've also thought about setting up the sight to lead birds. It looks like the best one for this may be the burris.

Thanks folks,

brad.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've used the Burris before with good success and can recommend them. You keep both eyes open when using a sight like that.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

You are going to set it up for leading birds? So all birds will be going in one direction, at the same speed and level with the ground?

Sounds like a really BAD idea to me.

The only good reason to put a holographic sight on a shotgun is if it will be used for slugs AND quick target aquisition is essential like hunting dangerous animals in dense cover like feral hogs in heavy brush.

For wing shooting, learn how to wing shoot. I have never used anything but a single bead sight for wing shooting. I pretty much never miss. Practice.

This is kind of like putting a gyroscopic, road sensing computer on your crotch rocket because you have no riding skills. Learn to ride.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the new sig quote Robo...

Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #5

Hmmm, I hear what youre sayin.

Some of this stuff is still very new to me, and I have actually seen written where a sight could be used to lead birds. So I ask here for more experienced oppinions, and I appreciate your honesty.

I mostly target shoot static targets, sometimes clays, and I do ok. So just wonderin as I'm getting into more shooting.

Thanks,

brad.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
Hmmm, I hear what youre sayin.

Some of this stuff is still very new to me, and I have actually seen written where a sight could be used to lead birds. So I ask here for more experienced oppinions, and I appreciate your honesty.

I mostly target shoot static targets, sometimes clays, and I do ok. So just wonderin as I'm getting into more shooting.

Thanks,

brad.
Robo nailed it perfectly. Using a shotgun is more "intuitive" and requires lots of practice to get it right. I suggest you find a legitimate skeet club and start shooting skeet. It is a very mathematical sport and if you pay attention you will get very good at wing shooting. There is no shortcut to wingshooting.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #7

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

A reflex red dot is possibly the greatest aid to wingshooting ever. They did not put those sights in fighter planes for nothing. You do not have to worry about consistent mount, or keeping your head down, or any of that; all you have to do is put the red dot out front where you want the pattern and the bird to meet. It's not like hunting for a front bead, because the dot is right out there in the same focal plane as the target. When you throw up the gun the target and the dot are already right there together. You have no problem focusing on the target at all.
The problem until now, as far as I am concerned, has been there has not been a lightweight, rugged mounted, small, red dot sight. Many years ago I used a Weaver Qwik-Point. It worked great. I even shot skeet with it using occluded sighting - one eye sees the dot, the other the target. But, the mount was continually problematic, it was heavy, and it was bulky, and it ran off ambient light so it was iffy at first light, but you could still shoot the conventional way looking thru the tube. I finally gave up on it.
I was seriously considering a Burris SpeedBead, but I have heard of mount issues with some of those.
I cannot claim to have ever been a "never miss" shooter, but I was high average in my skeet league back in the days before I ever tried a reflex sight, and I was far and away the best dove and duck shot around for a while.
If someone came out with one that met my criteria, and one of those is no drilling on my shotguns, I would buy it.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #8

So any recommendations? I'm still considering something to use for deer and coyote with rifled slugs.

So I'm still looking for opinions on the meprolight or trijicon, or something similar.

ST Leathercraft on FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf#!/pages/Blanchester-OH/ST-Leathercraft/101977654043?v=wall&ref=mf