Camping gun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Camping gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Camping gun.

Well I would a shotgun specifically used for when I go camping [not hunting]. I'm not picky on a gauge, as long as its 12,20,410. Make, model and gauge is all I need for a recommendation. I'd prefer not some odd gauge where ammo is ridiculous. As for price, I would like to keep it under 400 brand new.

I would like to hear what gun you take while camping. I'm really stuck to a long gun because of NY laws.

Thanks.

S.S.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I take a both a .357 and a .22 and I am in NY.

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

I dont think I would have the patience for all the nonsense to get the permit, then buying the guns. Too much running around bull****.

S.S.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I guess i'm confused about camping gun vs. hunting gun. If i were to have a "dedicated" camping only shotgun, i'd want something a bit lighter than my pump12. Maybe a .410 double barrel with 18.5" length. I really like my Mossy pump 12 & would probably just use it with the 18.5" barrel i have; were i to go dove hunting, i'd swap barrels to the 28" modified choke barrel.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #5

Congrats on your 1000th post, BTW.
Ahh. I might do that, I just wanted some different opinions. just wanted a reason to buy another gun.

S.S.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks, i didn't notice until you said that.
I do so love my Mossy; we met one drunken morning on my way to dove hunt. She was a cheap slut at $100, used & faded, but she has been faithful and never failed me. The 18.5" barrel i got this year for about $85ish at a gun show; it makes the gun much handier and would seem more hiking-friendly (seems much lighter).

If you can do that up there, that might be the cheapest way to get two guns in one. I've been told the more modern Mossy's can also be equipped with some kind of muzzleloader barrel to get a couple of extra days of hunting season. Mine is so old that there are no interchangeable choke tubes that screw in; choke was determined solely by the barrel chosen.

Maybe a good padded sling would help for camping too.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd take a look at Stoeger coach guns. I really like their Double Defense. It's sort of a mall ninja version of a coach gun.

Another good option would be a Snake Charmer if you can find one. They're little .410 break actions with a very shortened stock. The overall length on them is just long enough to be legal.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #8

Ahh. Interesting, Matt. I'll look into that. I do like break actions. I have 1 on 20ga.

Orangello-I too have an 18.5" barrel for my mossberg 12ga. I got it in May from Midway USA for $93. Its currently equipped right now, in case anyone wants to break in. But, I switch to my 28" mod choked barrel when I go out hunting.

S.S.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm with Matt, Stoeger Coach Gun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Why just one?

I take my HD 12 gauge for in camp.

My CCW pistol for hiking around.

And the AR in case some numb-nut with a rifle thinks my RV looks like a good target