Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Buying reloaded shells?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Buying reloaded shells?

I recently joined a shot gun club. They shoot trap or skeet twice a week (most of the year).

I've never shot skeet until about two weeks ago, and haven't shot trap in about 14 years. I'm quickly getting addicted, but can't afford the ammo, and don't have time to reload.

Another guy at the club (who I've been giving my once fired shells to, since I have no use for them) says he'll sell me reloaded shells (2 3/4" w/1-1/8th OZ 7.5 shot) for $4.50 per box.

I'm paying about $23.00 for 4 boxes at Wally-World ( or about $5.75 per box).

OK, here's my question: I've heard several excessively loud, or abnormally quiet shots from other members of the club who reload. I wouldn't buy shells from them (despite how forgiving a shotgun is to over/under loading) I've never heard an abnormal sound from any of this guys shells, but what worries me is that he brags about casting his own shot.

I've never got that much into reloading, and it kind of scares me. Could I hurt my gun from firing shot that is too hard/soft? I don't know.

My instinct says don't worry about it, after all, we're using steel shot in shot guns that were meant for lead shot. What about accuracy?

Just looking for some opinions out there.

Thanks guys,
Jesse

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If you have a modern shotgun in good condition there should be no problems.

I personally would not buy reloads from another person no matter what they say.

You can get a Lee Load-All 2 Shotshell Press 12 Gauge 2-3/4", 3" for around $50 at midwayusa with shipping. Or you can get the most reliable press on the market the MEC jr 600 for about $150.

In a month or two you will have all your equipment paid for with savings of reloads.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #3

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use .12 ga. 2-3/4 1-1/8 oz #8 shot. Actually Winchester AA Light target load. However, when I was in my 20's I shot trap and skeet competitavely at Del Paso shooting club in Sacramento and the club reloaded once spent shells, which I would buy, and I didn't see any difference in my game scores and no damage to shotgun.

The range I shoot at now has reloads for target and when I run out of my stuff I'll probably buy their reloads for trap and skeet. They get about $5.00 to $6.00 a box which would be quite a considerable savings.

If the guy is casting his own shot (which seems screwy to me) I think it's got to be lead.

If your pensive or unsure of this guys reloading abilities, which is a legitimate concern, search Midway, Cabella's, etc... and look for deals on factory shotshells by the case. You might even get some of your new friends in this club to go in with you and buy several cases at a time of course looking for volume deals.

I reload but am only set up for rifle and pistol shells now, but if I could get my lazy a$$ younger brother off his lately do nothing a$$ I'd pay him something for his time, provide him the primers, shot, wads, and powder as he is set up to reload shotshells and he knows what he's doing.

Looking into my chrystal ball though tells me that by the end of the year I'll have purchased what I need and be reloading 12 ga. shells

Last edited by mrm14; 10-12-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I don' know that he cast his own shot for everything. He was talking to a guy about how much it cost for a 5 gal. bucket of shot, but he was also talking to someone else about how hard it is getting to find tin, which he mixes with the lead. He may have been talking about another type of ammo though.

He did brag about his $1800 reloading set-up. He was talking about how part of it was automated on timers.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 10-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure that selling reloaded ammo is a no-no unless you have the proper license. If BATFE hears of this, they'll probably pay that person a visit.

Also, even if legal, not sure I'd trust my life & limb to another person's reloading skills...

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally do not shoot other people's reloads unless I know them very well and I'm aware of their reloading skills. I also will not reload ammo for anyone who doesn't meet the same criteria as I don't want the responsibility.
I agree with tango, find a lee load all and SLOWLY start reloading your own. It's a bit intimidating at first but if you take your time, do your research and ask questions you'll be fine. There are plenty of people here who can help you get started.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #7

from what you posted, you would only be saving 5 bucks a trip by using your friend's reloads. i know it adds up over time, but if you are apprehensive about using them, maybe the extra five bucks a trip is worth it for your piece of mind.

personally, i've used some factory reloads and didn't really like them, and i don't think i would ever buy someone elses "re"loads. hand loads, yes, if i want some specialized rounds, but not reloads. doesn't seem like the inconsistent ammo is worth the measly few bucks i would save.

the only time i will shoot reloads again is if i do them myself. that way i know i could trust them and i would actually be getting the price break that shooting reloads would provide, instead of someone else doing it then marking up the price to almost retail.

just my two cents....