Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Buying my first shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buying my first shotgun

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting my first shotgun soon, and I happened to stumble across this Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag for sale for $250. I'm mainly going to shoot clay, skeet, and ducks. Owner says it's never been used, bought it last year.

Here's a picture of it. What do y'all think of this gun, and the price the owner wants? Thanks guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

If it's really in like new condition, that's a great dea!

I have 2 835s, one has a rifled barrel with a cantilever mounted scope, and the other has the 24" ported turkey barrel on it.

If you buy the gun and those 2 barrels along with a good scope, you will have nearly all of your shotgun shooting and hunting needs covered in one platform.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 10-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Make sure everything about the gun lines up. It's pretty common to see guns with "cosmetic" defects like the vent rib doesn't line up with the receiver. Anytime you buy a gun put it together and make sure everything is straight. If you buy a rifle and the rear sight is cocked over to one side it's damaged goods.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1430 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 309

why would someone buy a shotgun and never shoot it? they do not go up in value like some firearms

Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Liked 1695 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Some people who never owned guns, bought anything they could find when everyone freaked out and started panic buying a year ago. Many if those people thought they were going to become shooters, then ammo prices went through the roof. Lots of those folks just never really were interested in shooting, or hunting.

I bet there are a lot of unfired, or very lightly used guns that are over a year old.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1430 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Some people who never owned guns, bought anything they could find when everyone freaked out and started panic buying a year ago. Many if those people thought they were going to become shooters, then ammo prices went through the roof. Lots of those folks just never really were interested in shooting, or hunting.

I bet there are a lot of unfired, or very lightly used guns that are over a year old.
good point

Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
why would someone buy a shotgun and never shoot it? they do not go up in value like some firearms
This guy bought a Stoeger at the same time as this, and used that instead.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Not to be a jerk, but there's a reason why he's shooting the stoeger. I love my 3000, great gun for not much more than the moss berg. Never been a mossberg fan.