Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Buying my first shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been looking at a lot of shotguns lately but I need some advice on a good one, that's not too expensive. I want one that will work all around for clay pigeon shooting, home defense, and maybe even bird shooting. I'd like to get a semi auto, but I have no problem with pumps either. I came across a Winchester SXP at scheels today which I liked the look of. Any thoughts on this gun or maybe on a different model?

The gun pictured is the SXP Marine Defender.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 474 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 2125

I Likes my Remingtons.
870 and 1100.
Have heard good things about the Mossberg.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

If you are going to be doing any hunting you may want to look at some guns with removable choke tubes so you can change the choke for whatever you are hunting Winchester makes models of the sxp with these....the sxp is a good gun also check out the benelli novas....I'm not a big fan of the Remington or Mossbergs but a lot of people out there shoot them everyday without a single problem

Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

If you are going to buy a shotgun for HD, I would suggest not worrying too much about looks and start worrying more about functionality.

Here's what I want from my HD shotgun:

- Reliability

- Easily actuated controls (with a firing grip)

- Correct length of pull (wing shooting is not the same as HD shooting)

- 18" to 20" barrel length (not typical for hunting shotguns)

- More than a 4 or 5 round capacity (hunting restriction)

- Reliable white light (SureFire is the only brand that's up to snuff)

- Tritium night sights (I prefer rifle sights to beads, but that's just me)

- Red dot optic (because lining up two points is easier than three)

All that stuff starts to make the weapon nose heavy, just plain heavy, and less useful for shooting clays- so you're going to have to decide what the primary use is for the weapon or re-configure it for hunting.

Reliable semi-auto shotguns generally cost significantly more than reliable pump shotguns, going against your stated desire for an inexpensive shotgun. Once you add all the stuff that I would add for HD, a less expensive pump shotgun starts to become a little pricey.

I like Remington and Mossberg pump shotguns, have used both, and wouldn't have a problem with either. There are also other perfectly good pump guns out there, like the Winchester you posted a pic of.

Semi-auto shotguns are fun to shoot and have a few advantages over pumps in some areas, but are most definitely more expensive.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I just bought a mossberg 500 that I love. It has a 20" barrel so it's great for a self defense shotgun too. It wasn't too expensive at $300 so I'm liking my decision. Not to mention all the ad-ons you can put on it

Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 Flex series. The multipurpose model I got came with a 28" barrel with removable modified choke and raised rib double beads. Also bought a 18" barrel for HD and short length stock for the wife. Stock and barrel added $150 to the cost but basically the gun can do anything now. I fully realize it is a compromise in most aspects but at the price they are certainly ones I am willing to deal with and have another shotgun around for fun and guests. I went out and shot a few rounds of trap with it yesterday while my son shot my O/U. I was figuring I would do a lot worse than I did with the pump, pleasantly surprised to say the least. I am not much for fancy wood so I don't mind that is plastic, black and basic!

Ruger SR-22, Browning Buckmark Camper URX, Sig P250 2Sum 9mm, Beretta Nano, Winchester 101 Trap, CZ 512 Mossberg 500 Flex, Carbine MForgery, and soon a rifle length MForgery........and counting. Damn this is fun

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Mossberg 930s are good low priced semis that are well built and with a couple of different barrels will work for the things you described

Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Liked 184 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I also have been thinking about a semi...not to steal your thunder OP but does anyone have any reccomendations? I don't want to give an arm and a leg but I do want a good gun...

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots2little View Post
I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 Flex series. The multipurpose model I got came with a 28" barrel with removable modified choke and raised rib double beads. Also bought a 18" barrel for HD and short length stock for the wife. Stock and barrel added $150 to the cost but basically the gun can do anything now. I fully realize it is a compromise in most aspects but at the price they are certainly ones I am willing to deal with and have another shotgun around for fun and guests. I went out and shot a few rounds of trap with it yesterday while my son shot my O/U. I was figuring I would do a lot worse than I did with the pump, pleasantly surprised to say the least. I am not much for fancy wood so I don't mind that is plastic, black and basic!
I like this recommendation. My old Mossberg 500 came with a 28" barrel for bird hunting and now wears a 18.5" barrel for home defense use. I can swap back to the bird-hunting barrel if i get the urge. I can easily remove the side saddle shell holder for hunting use.

One reason the Mossy is my bedside/goto for HD is that i have more hours shooting and using it than any of my pistols or SKS.

I would be hesitant to buy a stainless shotgun for hunting due to visibility.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now to just go to a gun store and give these shottys a look over.