Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buckshot vs. slugs for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, I think it's time for me to add another two cents. It seems we've got a couple of things coming into play here. My 1st reply was directed at smaller bird shot not being able to exit your intended target, (read that "perp"), go thru a wall behind him & strike an UNintended target, (read that "loved one") down the hall in another room. That's what I got from watching the tests guys did with various sized shot & slugs & pistol projectiles. The second thing is about 22's being an effective SD round, which I very strongly DISagree with, & here's why. Sure, you shoot the invader with your .22, but just how many bullets of his own is he able to send your way, some of which may kill you, before he dies from your .22 bullet. The main objective of yours is to stop his participation in the fight as quickly as possible, so as to insure your survival. Unless you hit him in the eye, which will then enter his brain & achieve the desired result, it is "off the chart" unlikely your shot with a .22 will quickly stop the fight. I welcome all responses, jd45

Old 03-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #32

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapman87 View Post
Seems to be quite the touchy subject here. I would suggest everyone looks at facts from real tests and decide on their own.

Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3
Thanks, very informative intel indeed, although I have seen these demos before, I personally will continue with my choice of shot, mainly because I have seen what damage it does to clothed human flesh, not gel, at 20-45 feet, close proximity.

I think the homeowner will have the advantage in the fact that no matter what they use, because according to current crime statistics, that in a majority of home invasions and burglaries, the BG is usually unarmed of a firearm...unless he has gotten a hold of one of yours.

But as always, YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

One thing and the most important! Is to know where others are in adjacent rooms. Otherwise, have a plan in place in your mind before the SHTF. Know where you are shooting otherwise. Also remember at close range even with Buck or Bird-shot the wad is not going to open up at very close ranges like one might think. Sometime folks watch too much TV westerns and movies where at very close range the shotgun hits everything in ten foot area! Thinking the old scatter gun technique! Wrong! Go out back or to the range and load a #6 Bird Shot and fire it at the target at 7-10 feet and see what happens! At those close ranges depending on the shotguns choke the wad does not have time to open and everything will usually make one BIG HOLE! Am I advocating small #6 bird shot? NO! I would not suggest anything smaller than BBs and larger loads. Due to clothing considerations. But back to my point! Plan ahead and know where the kids and family are in adjacent rooms. Also be sure of the target also especially at night. Might not be an intruder at all. Learn some flashlight techniques and proper use of the light so you do not become a good target or shoot someone out of a serious mistake!
It can happen easier than you think. Know your home or building layout and structure. And with a plan in place engage them in the area of your choice.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #34

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's mighty good input, sniper03. Thanx, jd45

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 10068

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
well...after hearing it from people involved in incidents...you want to make sure the round doesnt actually hurt anyone in your home unless it KILLS the bad guy....

in NY its pretty popular that if you just wound to stop a BG, then you werent in enough danger to use potentially lethal force...therefore you get arrested for shooting someone and the BG walks free.... -.-
All of the cops I have talked to about home invasion encounters have said to be absolutely certain the bad guy is not breathing when they get there. Also make sure he has a gun that has been fired into your house and preferably there are powder marks on his hands. (also should make sure that the rounds in the gun he brought into your house are low-penetration.) I'm just sayin'! (Oh, and I live in CA where things are just about as bad as NY)

Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 10068

Regardless of what you use for HD ammo (shotgun, rifle or handgun), a more important element of the HD scenario is shot placement. This is a bit more complicated than just being able to hit the target accurately (target being the bad guy), it is also knowing what is behind your target (basic gun safety here folks) and placing your target either where there is sufficient backstop or there is no danger of collateral damage if a shot passes through said target (I am hoping that everybody here practices hitting targets regularly).

Also, have a plan for the possibility of a home invasion. This is more than having your gun loaded and ready at hand anywhere in your home, it means if a bad guy gets in the house you need to know instinctively where you should and where you should not shoot him. If necessary (and possible) allow him to position himself with a good backstop behind him. Also don't position yourself in a way that if he shoots at you first you don't have the baby's nursery behind you (or the neighbor's bedroom).

Most importantly, before all else IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL POSSIBILITY OF DOUBT!!! People sleepwalk, even some people who have never done it before. Don't make any mistakes. There are no "do overs"..

Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #37

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

buckshot vs. birdshot> HERE

Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #38

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Here almost all construction is concrete and masonry so over penetration isn't much of a concern over here, on the other hand, here for home defense, only a handgun can be used, any long gun use would be illegal.

If I could use a scatter gun for home defense, I would use 00 buck shot, same diameter as .40 and wider contact area.

Also racking a shotgun would act as a deterrent and may stop any intruder in it's tracks, add a laser to the gun and you'll be cleaning poop from the intruder.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #39

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

A good read and a lot of interesting points made threw this thread..I think birdshot may bounce back at you if it hits a hard-surface but it would go right into drywall,and if the bad-guy is in my house he is fare-game even with-out a gun or gunpowder on his hand,he may have a knife or something else to hit you with and I'm not going to try to scare anybody off with the sound of racking a round into the chamber....Your in my house your ASS is MINE....

Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR
A good read and a lot of interesting points made threw this thread..I think birdshot may bounce back at you if it hits a hard-surface but it would go right into drywall,and if the bad-guy is in my house he is fare-game even with-out a gun or gunpowder on his hand,he may have a knife or something else to hit you with and I'm not going to try to scare anybody off with the sound of racking a round into the chamber....Your in my house your ASS is MINE....
Bird shot is for birds. Buckshot is for bad guys.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
People Like This