buckshot vs. slugs for home defense - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buckshot vs. slugs for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JonM

I find your definition of what is sup par to be irresponsible to the extreme. I also spent time in a combat situation, three tours in Nam and not as a behind the lines MP, and do not base what I say on what transpired there. I speak solely from what I have encountered in civilian life and what I have first hand knowledge of. You seem to totally discredit what others say that is in conflict with your own opinions so please do us all a favor and publish the empirical documentation on what you so freely promulgate.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I like turtles myself.....

But in a close proximity of CCB of a domestic dwelling, I do prefer #6 to #8 bird shot, continue fire till the threat is stopped, reload, or you change weapons. YMMV

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 03-14-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spellin'

Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #23

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Since most of you have never fired a load of bird shot in a CCB situation from a 18 inch barrel ill let you in on a secret, dont ever do it, it sucks, the tiny little shot..ya it bounces of walls very hard, if your gonna use somthing use something with a little ass behind it not bird shot, i will never fire nothing smaller then 4 shot in a house cuz i dont like dodging my own shot, o ya, and 5.56 bounces off of walls to, dont belive me, ask any 11B with trigger time a shoot house, If your scared of over penetraion dont worry about using 00 buck, know what walls in your house you can and cant shoot at incase theres other people behind it and know by time a load of buck goes through someone it dont have much steam left and aim your shots dont go blasting around corners like a mad man and you will be just fine with whatever you use. If it is that concering to you get a taser, and there is nothing wrong with a good turtle!

Last edited by deathkricket; 03-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.
LONGHAIR Likes This 
Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #24

Kricket your suppose to hit the target, not the walls man. I have never seen bird shot bounce off a human target at close range, concrete and brick yes, drywall no. Seriously!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
JonM

I find your definition of what is sup par to be irresponsible to the extreme. I also spent time in a combat situation, three tours in Nam and not as a behind the lines MP, and do not base what I say on what transpired there. I speak solely from what I have encountered in civilian life and what I have first hand knowledge of. You seem to totally discredit what others say that is in conflict with your own opinions so please do us all a favor and publish the empirical documentation on what you so freely promulgate.
i just wanna why your so hell bent on being so angry.

when the other side just devolves into personal insults usually means they got nuthin substantial other than obstructionis for the sake of being in the way.

so whatever guy. keep using your 22lr.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-14-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #26

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Kricket your suppose to hit the target, not the walls man. I have never seen bird shot bounce off a human target at close range, concrete and brick yes, drywall no. Seriously!
O yes it goes through a paper target and bounces off drywall and it stings like a bi$%h.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
O yes it goes through a paper target and bounces off drywall and it stings like a bi$%h.
OK! I respect your experienced observations....but the shot did go through the target, yes?
shatner3.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #28

Likes Given: 5

WE HAD A PIT BULL GET IN THRU OUR GATE AT THE HOUSE & KILL THE FAMILY SHIH TSU. WHEN I HEARD THE COMMOTION, I GRABBED THE CLOSEST GUN-- A SINGLE SHOT 12 GA-- & WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR, THE PIT RUSHED AT ME. AFTER WATCHING THE EPISODE ON "BEST DEFENSE" ABOUT THE PENTRATION TESTS, I ALWAYS KEEP THE HOME GUNS LOADED WITH BIRDSHOT. THE BIRDSHOT WAS VERY EFFECTIVE AS WE BURIED TWO ANIMALS THAT DAY THE FIRST SHOT DROPPED THE PIT BUT IWAS SO MAD, I PUT A COUPLE OF EXTRA AFTER THE FACT

Old 03-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #29

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I fancy Winchester Super X 2-3/4" 00 buck. It's what I used on the ship & it's what I use at home.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #30

Seems to be quite the touchy subject here. I would suggest everyone looks at facts from real tests and decide on their own.

Shotgunworld.com • View topic - 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3