buckshot vs. slugs for home defense - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buckshot vs. slugs for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #141
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman84 View Post
Its for shtf. Nothing lasts forever so I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
just curious what other preperation have you made for a SHTF scenario? food? water? electricity?

and which SHTF scenario are you thinking you need well over 500 rounds of buckshot? zombies? UN troops? crazed and hungry looters?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #142

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

Water n food are fine. And I live in the country. Water comes out of the well.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #143
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Like after Katrina where the cops confiscated all privately owned firearms?
That wasn't everywhere I can promise you. A lot of those guys are in federal prison now. A lot of corrupt cops in NO got busted during Katrina. Finally. Nobody down there got along with NOPD. Bunch of ***holes with few exceptions.

I've got a buddy that was one of the few exceptions. He said it was hell. Everybody was stealing stuff. Most of the NOPD cars were under about 10 feet of water in a parking garage along with their weapons and supplies. And then SHTF and they started getting shot at. Some of them swam down and got as much stuff as they could. Others stole enough guns, food and some vehicles (from one of the dealerships above water) to do their jobs. None of the radios in the whole region were working. Something happened to the towers so there was no calling for backup for the first few days. Cell towers were down too.

Others added to the anarchy and were worse than some of the criminals and showed their true colors as thugs who didn't belong behind a badge. It was like a bad movie. Those guys should have been shot along with the looters.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-03-2013 at 07:06 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
just curious what other preperation have you made for a SHTF scenario? food? water? electricity? and which SHTF scenario are you thinking you need well over 500 rounds of buckshot? zombies? UN troops? crazed and hungry looters?
Anytime there's a disaster or civil unrest, looting happens. It's just not something you see on the news. I've seen it in person. It's ugly. Not a bad thing to prepare for. But you do need a lot more than buckshot.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #145

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

I have an SKS and 30-06 plus several sidearms and plenty of ammo for each.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #146
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

I apologize in advance if this information is a duplication! I did not take time to read through the entire thread before adding this information but thought it might be informative regarding the initial topic of the Thread and why some of us recommend BB or #2 Shot for home defense. Here is the results of the Box Test.

12 sheets of 5/8 Sheetrock (Drywall) were placed in a box approximately 1 inch apart and then behind the box a milk jug full of water was placed.

A 19.5 Inch Barreled 12 Ga. using 2 3/4 inch rounds was used for the penetration test at 12 feet.

# 4 Buck Penetrated the 6th sheet and bounced off the 7th. sheet
Which would represent the #4 going from the room the gun was fired in through three additional
rooms and hitting the wall across the room on the third room.
#O Buck Penetrated also the 6th and hit the 7th the same wall as the #4 Buck.
#OO Buck Penetrated 7 Walls with 3 Pellets going through the 8th Wall and 1 Pellet slightly penetrating the Water Bottle. The second test shot did the same with the 1 Pellet bouncing off the water bottle. I did a test one time and got the OO to penetrate 9 layers.
Obviously Slugs are not a good choice either for in home defese. But good to have around to load if needed.
So for home use that is why I and others suggested 2 3/4 BB or 2 3/4 # 2 Magnum Rounds.
Spread: OO Buck at 12 Feet = 2 1/2 inches.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #147
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21989 Times on 12399 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I apologize in advance if this information is a duplication! I did not take time to read through the entire thread before adding this information but thought it might be informative regarding the initial topic of the Thread and why some of us recommend BB or #2 Shot for home defense. Here is the results of the Box Test.

12 sheets of 5/8 Sheetrock (Drywall) were placed in a box approximately 1 inch apart and then behind the box a milk jug full of water was placed.

A 19.5 Inch Barreled 12 Ga. using 2 3/4 inch rounds was used for the penetration test at 12 feet.

# 4 Buck Penetrated the 6th sheet and bounced off the 7th. sheet
Which would represent the #4 going from the room the gun was fired in through three additional
rooms and hitting the wall across the room on the third room.
#O Buck Penetrated also the 6th and hit the 7th the same wall as the #4 Buck.
#OO Buck Penetrated 7 Walls with 3 Pellets going through the 8th Wall and 1 Pellet slightly penetrating the Water Bottle. The second test shot did the same with the 1 Pellet bouncing off the water bottle. I did a test one time and got the OO to penetrate 9 layers.
Obviously Slugs are not a good choice either for in home defese. But good to have around to load if needed.
So for home use that is why I and others suggested 2 3/4 BB or 2 3/4 # 2 Magnum Rounds.
Spread: OO Buck at 12 Feet = 2 1/2 inches.

very good information you posted Sniper. thank you for providing this.

i will again substantiate my reasons for birdshot over buckshot for those who may have missed it. does birdshot have the same penetration as buckshot? no it doesn't. i will not pretend or say it does, because i know differently. is birdshot as effective as buckshot? no it isn't at longer distances. simple ballistics proves this out. the further the distance, the less effective birdshot becomes, but at 20-25 feet or less, birdshot can be effective and lethal. if a BG is wearing heavier clothing, then buckshot is more effective by a margin, even at close range. but birdshot will still penetrate to a degree and there are several YouTube videos that bear this out when tested. the smallest birdshot i would use personally is #4 birdshot.

now i have done my own informal tests in the past along with another member of this forum and verified my thoughts on using birdshot as HD/SD ammo. first and foremost, i don't make assumptions or take things on blind faith when it comes to personal security. i test any and all firearms and ammo for many things before i have complete confidence in it's a bility to perform as i need it to when needed. IMO, anyone that simply buys a firearm and some ammo and sticks into a corner or a drawer without testing it for function and reliability and how well it shoots as far as patterning or accuracy is a fool and an idiot. they have bought a gun and now simply because they own it, they are setting themselves up for a false sense of security. wrong way to approach personal safety.

my advice is to practice and do your own informal testing with various types of shotgun ammo. evaluate your situation and environment to see what is best for you and your loved ones. what works for me or someone else may not be the most desirable choice for another person with different factors than me. i have tested for my situations and my environment and satisfied my own needs as to what i feel comfortable and confident with using. i made these decisions based on what works for my needs and not someone elses.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #148
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Anytime there's a disaster or civil unrest, looting happens. It's just not something you see on the news. I've seen it in person. It's ugly. Not a bad thing to prepare for. But you do need a lot more than buckshot.
Much to my surprise looting does not ALWAYS occur when disaster strikes
When we had the tornados come through here a couple of years ago I was the Patrol Commander for the Winston County SO and we had a total blackout for about a week (some juice was back on in 5 days but most was 7 or more days).
We have a lot of very nice vacation homes here on Smith Lake and several other remote business locations. I expected us to be covered up with burglary reports when the power came on, but guess what NOT ONE!!!! Even the 'bad guys' showed some respect for the problem. There is a BIG difference between the rural mentality and the urban mentality.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #149
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You guys end up enforcing curfews with the blackout?

Last big storm and blackout we had there were no burglaries because the mayor had us throw half the city into the county jail for curfew violations.

It was literally standing room only in booking for about 76 hours.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #150
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
You guys end up enforcing curfews with the blackout?

Last big storm and blackout we had there were no burglaries because the mayor had us throw half the city into the county jail for curfew violations.

It was literally standing room only in booking for about 76 hours.
We had curfews issued but no arrests and very few violations. I worked some VERY long days (and nights) and it was just 'dead' no activity to speak of. If this had of occurred in a large metro area it would have anarchy!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 11-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.