buckshot vs. slugs for home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buckshot vs. slugs for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default buckshot vs. slugs for home defense

What are the arguments for each?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

buckshot loses almost all energy after penetrating several walls. not as liekly to injre neighbors from errant shots if forced to use it. especially 2 3/4 shells. slugs tend to waaay over penetrate. i do keep a couple handy in the buttstock shell holders.

this is what i use for home defense

my 590A1 doesnt have sights just a bead my bayonet is a M7.

walmart had em on sale im not tied to any brand name
bb shot works better in shortrange home defense

Remington 12 Ga Ultimate Home Defense 2 3/4" Shell 1 1/4 OZ Lead Size BB

Remington 12 Ga Ultimate Home Defense 2 3/4" Shell 1 1/4 OZ Lead Size BB 10/Box Ammunition Md: RW12SHDB, Remington Hevi-Density Home Defense LG Outdoors

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

I realize this really rains on the ninja parade, but people are really easy to stop. I have seen a deer run a quarter mile with three slugs, but people - no. They have the most complex nervous system. While the Army did have to go back to the 45 Colt from the 38 Special to stop drugged Maori warriors in the Phillipines over a hundred years ago, buckshot is more than sufficient. I really think John's BB suggestion sounds good to be honest. Any shot gives you some cushion for a small aiming error as compared to slugs as well, and won't penetrate houses.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

go with shot. no reason to risk more over-penetration

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

If you want a single projectile, get a carbine--a shotgun is not a rifle. A carbine has better range, better accuracy, AND greater penetration.

On the other hand, the shotgun is pretty much recognized as the best choice for home defense. The choice of shot is largely dependent on the physical structure you and who else is there live in.

If you share the building with others--family, roommates, neighbors--bird shot is better, less penetration (Rob Pincus recommends 7 1/2, JonM uses BB). If you live in a single dwelling without close neighbors, buckshot is a better choice (I use #1 buckshot ). Either shot is reported to cause severe wounding!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Pete, after JD had to close the last thread about body armor penetration I am getting some REALLY big red flags about you. ISTAT.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Everyone is going to have something different, depending on their preferences and immediate environment. My HD shotgun holds 6 rounds, and my decision has been to escalate the firepower severity as it cycles. I figure if God forbid there was ever a legitimate reason to fire off my SG several times, by that point I'd want a heavy hitter.

2rds heavy birdshot (#4-6)
2rds 00buck
2rds PDX1 ninja load (1oz slug w/ some buckshot)

Unless you live in an isolated area and are prone to aggressive bear or bigfoot encounters, I would highly discourage having a slug among the first few rounds you chamber.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #8

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

well...after hearing it from people involved in incidents...you want to make sure the round doesnt actually hurt anyone in your home unless it KILLS the bad guy....

in NY its pretty popular that if you just wound to stop a BG, then you werent in enough danger to use potentially lethal force...therefore you get arrested for shooting someone and the BG walks free.... -.-

Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
well...after hearing it from people involved in incidents...you want to make sure the round doesnt actually hurt anyone in your home unless it KILLS the bad guy....

in NY its pretty popular that if you just wound to stop a BG, then you werent in enough danger to use potentially lethal force...therefore you get arrested for shooting someone and the BG walks free.... -.-
if thats a concern use only ammo labeled as self defense critical defense etc. keep the boxes handy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default home defense shotgun ammo

heavy birdshot, BB, and bayonet. that'll do it,