Buckshot for home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Buckshot for home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default Buckshot for home defense

Having a hard time locating 00 buckshot in my area of Ohio. Any suggestions!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot50 View Post
Having a hard time locating 00 buckshot in my area of Ohio. Any suggestions!
welcome to FTF! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and we will give you a proper FTF welcoming.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts

Double O buckshot is pretty heavy for home use, just my view. Try to find #1 or #4 buckshot. Also the T shot size in turkey hunting loads.
Now go buy yourself some green cabbage heads, put them on top of some fence post. Back off to 21 to 25 feet,,,,,,,,,shoot the loads that I just stated. Talk about instant coleslaw!
Green cabbage has about the same density as the human head.
I think you will be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Lots of it online. http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/shotgun/12ga/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

I would not use 00 buck inside.............

When all else fails.

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Nothing wrong with 00 buck as a self defense round. You need the same things from a shotgun as a pistol. Your ammo should be able to penetrate a door. If I can see an armed intruder trying to break my door down I am not waiting until he breaks the door down to start shooting. I know this might be hard for some of you to get your head around. Your shotgun needs to be able to penetrate car windows and doors. There are idiots out there who will try to run a car through the front of your house. There are people who will try to run you down with a car in order to make a clean get away.

Not everyone lives in an apartment. People live in houses. Some people live in areas where 4 legged prowlers are a threat.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-27-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 459

00 Buckshot is exactly what you should use, if you decide to use buckshot as a home defense round. Limited penetration means limited penetration (of everything). You want and need penetration in order to stop whomever you had to shoot at.

If you can find 5.56MM 55 grain FMJ (assuming you have something reliable to put that round through that you have some training with), that doesn't tend to over-penetrate because it tends to fragment and stop at point blank range.

All projectiles suitable for home defense are going to go through an interior wall. Instead of worrying about what might happen, get some extra training and then practice to ensure that it doesn't happen.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Nothing wrong with 00 buck as a self defense round. You need the same things from a shotgun as a pistol. Your ammo should be able to penetrate a door. If I can see an armed intruder trying to break my door down I am not waiting until he breaks the door down to start shooting. I know this might be hard for some of you to get your head around. Your shotgun needs to be able to penetrate car windows and doors. There are idiots out there who will try to run a car through the front of your house. There are people who will try to run you down with a car in order to make a clean get away.

Not everyone lives in an apartment. People live in houses. Some people live in areas where 4 legged prowlers are a threat.
please elaborate on these car scenarios please. how many cases of intruders using a vehicle to break into a house have there been? that is clearly a new one for me, and would really like to hear more about it.

and please explain how you could get run over with a car making it's getaway, unless you were pursueing the home invader. clearly a bad choice in the worst kind of way. and if they are leaving the area and if you were attempting to pursue them, and were to shoot at them, it might very much end up bad for the person doing the shooting with the police. when a threat retreats, by law you no longer have justification to use deadly force.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 873 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 195

GunTalk is doing a TV show on different ammo inside the house. He talked about it on the radio last weekend, and still likes birdshot.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Cabbage is not as dense as flesh.

Birdshot is not an effective or even minimally effective round.

00buck for shotguns.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This