Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Buckshot for home defense (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/buckshot-home-defense-105515/)

Topshot50 03-27-2014 03:07 AM

Buckshot for home defense

Having a hard time locating 00 buckshot in my area of Ohio. Any suggestions!

Axxe55 03-27-2014 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topshot50 (Post 1541181)
Having a hard time locating 00 buckshot in my area of Ohio. Any suggestions!

welcome to FTF! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and we will give you a proper FTF welcoming.:D

BVAL 03-27-2014 03:41 AM

Double O buckshot is pretty heavy for home use, just my view. Try to find #1 or #4 buckshot. Also the T shot size in turkey hunting loads.
Now go buy yourself some green cabbage heads, put them on top of some fence post. Back off to 21 to 25 feet,,,,,,,,,shoot the loads that I just stated. Talk about instant coleslaw!
Green cabbage has about the same density as the human head.
I think you will be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

JTJ 03-27-2014 03:48 AM

Lots of it online. http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/shotgun/12ga/

303tom 03-27-2014 04:01 AM

I would not use 00 buck inside.............

John_Deer 03-27-2014 04:14 AM

Nothing wrong with 00 buck as a self defense round. You need the same things from a shotgun as a pistol. Your ammo should be able to penetrate a door. If I can see an armed intruder trying to break my door down I am not waiting until he breaks the door down to start shooting. I know this might be hard for some of you to get your head around. Your shotgun needs to be able to penetrate car windows and doors. There are idiots out there who will try to run a car through the front of your house. There are people who will try to run you down with a car in order to make a clean get away.

Not everyone lives in an apartment. People live in houses. Some people live in areas where 4 legged prowlers are a threat.

kbd512 03-27-2014 04:35 AM

00 Buckshot is exactly what you should use, if you decide to use buckshot as a home defense round. Limited penetration means limited penetration (of everything). You want and need penetration in order to stop whomever you had to shoot at.

If you can find 5.56MM 55 grain FMJ (assuming you have something reliable to put that round through that you have some training with), that doesn't tend to over-penetrate because it tends to fragment and stop at point blank range.

All projectiles suitable for home defense are going to go through an interior wall. Instead of worrying about what might happen, get some extra training and then practice to ensure that it doesn't happen.

Axxe55 03-27-2014 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1541228)
Nothing wrong with 00 buck as a self defense round. You need the same things from a shotgun as a pistol. Your ammo should be able to penetrate a door. If I can see an armed intruder trying to break my door down I am not waiting until he breaks the door down to start shooting. I know this might be hard for some of you to get your head around. Your shotgun needs to be able to penetrate car windows and doors. There are idiots out there who will try to run a car through the front of your house. There are people who will try to run you down with a car in order to make a clean get away.

Not everyone lives in an apartment. People live in houses. Some people live in areas where 4 legged prowlers are a threat.

please elaborate on these car scenarios please. how many cases of intruders using a vehicle to break into a house have there been? that is clearly a new one for me, and would really like to hear more about it.

and please explain how you could get run over with a car making it's getaway, unless you were pursueing the home invader. clearly a bad choice in the worst kind of way. and if they are leaving the area and if you were attempting to pursue them, and were to shoot at them, it might very much end up bad for the person doing the shooting with the police. when a threat retreats, by law you no longer have justification to use deadly force.

partdeux 03-27-2014 05:11 PM

GunTalk is doing a TV show on different ammo inside the house. He talked about it on the radio last weekend, and still likes birdshot.

JonM 03-27-2014 05:16 PM

Cabbage is not as dense as flesh.

Birdshot is not an effective or even minimally effective round.

00buck for shotguns.