Buckshot brand recommendation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Buckshot brand recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Buckshot brand recommendation

Hey everyone,
I'm going to buy a Remington 870 12ga and I'd like to order some shotgun ammo at the same time. I'm looking for 00 buckshot for home defense, the shotgun I'm buying can take both 2 3/4 and 3" slugs and I'm a bit clueless when it comes to shotgun ammunition. I'd like to buy American made and since I'll be taking the shotgun to the range, I need something that's a bit cost efficient. I've been looking at Federal, Remington and Winchester and all look good on paper so I gotta ask the experts

Throw me what you got!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Stick with the 2 3/4" shells with 9 pellets. Too much recoil with the heavier loads. Some LEO's are using reduced recoil 8 pellet loads which are a lot easier to shoot. I usually just buy what is available at Wally World.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 04-18-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Is buy the 2 3/4" 9 pellets...I would buy either winchester or federal I have never had any luck with remington shells

Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06
Is buy the 2 3/4" 9 pellets...I would buy either winchester or federal I have never had any luck with remington shells
Really? That's surprising to me, i've gone through quite a lot of remington 2 3/4 00 buckshot without any problems.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pick all 3 and see what your gun likes best. I have a Mossberg 835 that hates Federal buckshot but loves Federal Turkey Loads but i also have an 870 that is ok with Winchesters but great with Remington and Federal.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Thanks all, I was going to get 15 pellets buckshots so I'm glad I asked

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies

Really? That's surprising to me, i've gone through quite a lot of remington 2 3/4 00 buckshot without any problems.
Yea I've tried remington buckshot slugs turkey loads and even rifle bullets and I've never had any that shot worth a crap lol Idk what it is

Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Try out Federal, Winchester and Remington. Go with whatever patterns best.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #9

I like my Remington Golden Sabers in my 1911 so I don't think Remington sucks for ammunition, but maybe they have bad series indeed.
What about Nobel Sport, any good? I'm seeing good prices on their 12 pellets buckshots.

Also how many shots does it take to consider the shotgun broken in (enough)?

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-18-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom
I like my Remington Golden Sabers in my 1911 so I don't think Remington sucks for ammunition, but maybe they have bad series indeed.
What about Nobel Sport, any good? I'm seeing good prices on their 12 pellets buckshots.

Also how many shots does it take to consider the shotgun broken in (enough)?
I've never heard of noble...and there's no set number of shots to consider the gun broke in...I always like to shoot at least a box of heavy loads through my new gun gun when I get it though