buck shot v.s. flachettes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buck shot v.s. flachettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Flechettes are downright nasty. USAF used them in SUU 30 munitions in SE Asia. They just turn flesh into hamburger and just waste any other soft target. They are just made for killin'.....................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #12

there is a company that sells them, I don't remember their name but they sell all kinds of crazy loads foe shotgun. they sell shells loaded with buck shot and slugs, stuff like that. whay don't ask me. butnow that you mention that whole D.A. thing, I aint gonna fart around and get messed up in some legal crap.

after looking at the post you guys put up, I wouldn't want to just wound some one with those things. when I shot at the hodgee's in fallujah, and elsewhere in iraq, I shot to kill, not wound, that same goes for my defense back here in the states. my uncle will just have to live with the fact that I won't load them for him, if he doesn't like it he can either find someone else to do it, or start reloading himself. I don't want to be responsible for giving the gun grabbers any more fodder that they can misconstrue...

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 05-31-2009, 04:19 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Do I want to be in front of a jury while a lawyer accuses me of loading special shotgun shells INTENDED to literally NAIL a man to the wall? Hmmmm.... lemme get back to you on that...

FWIW, we used flechettes in the 90mm recoiless rifle, the 2.75 inch aerial rockets, and the 105mm howitzer. Yeah, when you hum 26 pounds of them out there, they are really impressive at breaking up human wave attacks. Say- does that shotshell hold 26 pounds? Oh.

ALCAN did some special 12 g flechette loads used by aircraft guards- since the light steel arrow did not have the mass to badly mess up the aircraft. (Shoot an infiltrator with an M-14, punch holes in 3 airplanes at same time)

IMHO, if I am sitting of front of a jury looking at the color photos of Mr. Bad Guy soaking into the walls and ceiling of Casa C3, I want to be able to say that in utter desperation to preserve the lives of family and self, I was forced to grab my deer gun or bird gun (which, BTW, does NOT look like it belongs to Arnold)

Trust me- at 20 ft, buckshot against an unarmored target is effective and devastating.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #14

whooo boy, the old uncle wasn't to happy yohave been told he would have to load them himself! but hey, it is what it is. I showed him the link that was posted earlier, but he was being hard headed. southerners.... can be some of the most stubborn people!

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

If these loads are for sd or hd, I'd talk about stopping power. A flaschette load may tear up an intruder, but the buckshot will drop one. It is about lethality and force of punch. When I say lethality, I mean dead now; not dead later after they can make a statement to the police. Dead intruders tell no tales. Even if they are for hunting-same deal...dead now and humanely killed.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Do I want to be in front of a jury while a lawyer accuses me of loading special shotgun shells INTENDED to literally NAIL a man to the wall? Hmmmm.... lemme get back to you on that...

FWIW, we used flechettes in the 90mm recoiless rifle, the 2.75 inch aerial rockets, and the 105mm howitzer. Yeah, when you hum 26 pounds of them out there, they are really impressive at breaking up human wave attacks. Say- does that shotshell hold 26 pounds? Oh.

ALCAN did some special 12 g flechette loads used by aircraft guards- since the light steel arrow did not have the mass to badly mess up the aircraft. (Shoot an infiltrator with an M-14, punch holes in 3 airplanes at same time)

IMHO, if I am sitting of front of a jury looking at the color photos of Mr. Bad Guy soaking into the walls and ceiling of Casa C3, I want to be able to say that in utter desperation to preserve the lives of family and self, I was forced to grab my deer gun or bird gun (which, BTW, does NOT look like it belongs to Arnold)

Trust me- at 20 ft, buckshot against an unarmored target is effective and devastating.
Yup. flechettes belong in artillery rounds and aerial munitions. They where designed to be indiscriminate hole pokers for "confirmed" target rich environments. That's why you hurl a few hundred pounds of them at a time into an area target. Not so good for use against specific man sized targets from a shot gun.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Firequest has them in 12 guage: Firequest International, Inc. [ Firequest.com ]
I believe that page could be retitled "novelty ammo". (just my opin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
southerners.... can be some of the most stubborn people!
Tell me about it. Try being a vegetarian in southern MS.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Flechette rounds are illegal in some states also. Buckshot is still legal in all 50.

Rock salt is money though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.