buck shot v.s. flachettes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > buck shot v.s. flachettes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default buck shot v.s. flachettes

what do you guys prefer?

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

well if its snipers of allah then definitly flechettes. but other wise id probly go with buckshot

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Buckshot of any sort is better ( or should I say I PREFER)

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #4

why buck shot over the flachettes? im asking because my uncle bought a bunch at the gunshow, and wants me to load them for him. these things look like they would turn someone into hamburger at 10 yds. they look like would do a crazy amount of damage.

anyone got any loading data for these things, or knows where to find it? also anyone know of links of these things shot into gel?

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #5

Here's a short write-up and some ballistic gel pictures:

Ballistic gelatin test results : 12 gauge Sabot Designs Flechette Sabot cartridge - THR

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 05-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

At close range (under 25 yards) the flechettes are not yet stable. They are fin stabilized and may take longer to smooth out the yawing motion. If they were bent by the forces of firing, they will never stabilize. 50-100 yards they should stabilize out and do well. From what I have been able to find out is they tend to spread fairly quickly to a circle of about 36" in diameter and hold that pattern til they lose energy and fall. It is hard to get one to go much past 200 yards out of a shotgun.

Flechettes are intended to penetrate vegetitation and wound the target deeply. They lack the kinetic energy (because of their low weight) to stop a target. They can produce nasty wounds that may result in a fatality, eventually.

I prefer buckshot. A proper load will hold relatively tight patterns to 40-50 yards or so. I took a coyote at 65 yards with Winchester 000 2 3/4" buck. I fired three shots in rapid succession at two coyotes. Killed one big male (65#) with a single pellet to the rib cage.

I have loaded some flechettes. Do considerably research before attemping such an undertaking. The fins will tear up a barrel so a good wad is needed. Ballistic Products LBC (Limited Bore Contact) 43 wads will protect the bore from the steel flechettes but will limit the payload to about 15. You can get more in there if you load some backwards but that really screws up the patterns. The backward ones will collide with the forward ones as they try to do an about face.

You can load up to about 20 with a conventional wad (WW12R) but you lose a cosiderable amount of bore protection both from the fins and the tips as the red wad is not deep enough to enclose the entire length fo the flechette.

Buckshot is a much more viable payload for handloading. A .312 round ball mould will give you single 0 buck. 12 pellets at about 45 grains each will give you a load of about 1 1/8 oz. Red wads and blue dot powder can give you 1300 fps w/o any pressure problems. A 45 ACP case full of shot buffer thrown in for good measure adds a negligable amount of weight to the charge. Compression formed Winchester hulls (AA or smooth hi-brass) make a good container. I get predictable patterns of all 12 pellets in a B-27 silhouette at 25 yards.

I won't post my exact load but you can find a reasonable load in most manuals for this combination of hull, wad, powder and shot weight.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #7

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Fleshettes are merely steel shot with fins. In other words, Junk. Okay out of an artillery piece at 3000 FPS, but your trusty shotgun isn't a real artillery piece, regardless of what you dream of. Stick to buckshot. Far superior sectional density.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

thanks guys for the info, I myself have aways relied on no.4's. but my uncle is very adamant about having these things loaded. so I have some more knowlage to seek.

is there any special dies that are needed for these things? will they mess up my press? (if they do he can find someone else!) again thanks for all the help!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thanks for posting this info; i saw some of these in a catalog the other day & didn't know if they were really intended for use or as a novelty.

edit* Item AMM-005 in Cheaper than Dirt, $29.97 per pound. I think i'll pass.

Last edited by orangello; 05-29-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #10

Default Forget them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
thanks guys for the info, I myself have aways relied on no.4's. but my uncle is very adamant about having these things loaded.
Perhaps your Uncle should have a talk with the local DA first. IMHO, and from what I've read, juries (based on inflammatory rhetoric from DAs) view these as designed ONLY to cause terrible injuries, with no defensive use whatsoever. Juries tend to side with the victims, based on the wounds received.

Load up some 00 and tell Uncle they're flechettes. Given that, IIRC, they're outlawed by Treaty for causing horrendous wounds, I don't see a practical use for them.

If they had a practical use, there would be a civvie version of a military round that you could buy on the open market. That should be a BIG clue these aren't to be used for defensive purposes.