Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Browning A5 Magnum 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I had a 20 gauge Auto 5 that never malfunctioned. I just did not like long recoil actions.
I don't know if the friction ring was backwards, I don't know if they were dirty, I don't know if they were rusty, I have no idea because they were not mine. But don't tell me I didn't see a lot of 3" Auto 5s malfunction, because I did. I remember it especially well, because most of the owners back then couldn't stop themselves from telling me I should have gotten an Auto 5, instead of an 1100. Upon reflection, I think most of them were actually shooting 2-3/4" shells, but I am not sure 40 years later. To say that I got intense personal satisfaction out of the situation - right after telling me, at length, that I got the wrong gun, theirs malfunctioned - would be putting it mildly.
I have several of these and if you try to shoot a 2 3/4 shell in a magnum it will hang up 5 out of ten times or even a lowbrass 3 inch shell will hang them up. I hunted in Minnestota on a -18 degree day back in 2002 and mine shot 30 plus shells with no hang ups. They are verry reliable if the owner knows how to maintain and care for them. Its my opinion that you can give a guy who dosnt take the time to read and understand the weapon that he is using, the weapon will sooner than later fail and some times with very bad results. But the weapons are worth what anyone wants to pay! I have had offers up to 2000 for a new one in the box, it was of the last production run, that was a year ago, today I bet I would be lucky to get half of that.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #12

my father has used the A-5 in Minnesota for the last 20 years and i have hunted with him just about everytime he goes out, NEVER have had a problem even when ice was on his barrel, I have one also and never had a shell hang up, It must be set up for the 3 inch shell and properly cleaned, common sense careof any gun,
By the way I have one for sale if anyone wants, excellent condition, emailme bront17@yahoo.com for more info, I can only use one at a time and dont need two of them

Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
TxG

As others have said, the A5 can be extremely reliable when set up correctly for the load you are using. Conversely, they will give you some problems if they are not.

I have never had a problem with an A5 that was tuned correctly.

Keep Our Browning A-5 Shotguns Running!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58evinrude View Post
I guess I've been "corrected" elsewhere. However, I have yet to have anyone explain to me about how the rings mispositioned would cause a failure to cycle with 3" lead shells. If the rings were backward, it would just cycle harder with 3" shells and possibly crack the bolt, but not FAIL to cycle. My father owned 2 magnum brownings, a belgium and a japanese---so they were made in both places. They both hung up on 3" shells. The guns were clean, and oiled properly. I will stick to my statement. He did say that it would shoot 2 3/4 shells fine, but hang up on 3" at the most inopportune times. These guns were both purchased BRAND NEW, BTW. Now I won't argue with anyone on how their's works, and am happy for them if theirs shoots great, which several guys who use them regularly say they do. I don't disbelieve their experience with them. This is just my father's observation about HIS magnum brownings which I know to be correct because as a little boy I distinctly remember his bellyaching about it after the danged thing hung up. This is the SAME thing that happened to at least 2 other men in my area that shot browning magnums. The 2 3/4 guns are virtually flawless as far as I know, but I am untrusting of a browning magnum shooting 3" shells. Heck, they and my father may have gotten the 5 duds in 5,000,000 for all I know, but they were unreliable on 3" shells and that's all there is to it.
BTW, I'm looking for a 2 3/4 browning auto 5 with invectors if anybody has one for sale.
JBJ
I own a number of A5's including the Magnums. Never had a problem with one functioning other than a safety sear busting on a pre war model. Magnums always work when the rings are properly set and it is lubed properly.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #15

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I live on the East coast of Canada. I have been on MANY winter duck hunts on the North Atlantic where you had to P*SS on the bolt to get the ice buildup off to load a shell and the Auto-5 still functioned perfectly. I did see a Remington 1100 bolt explode like this (stamped parts going everywhere!). Anyways any serious Turr hunter around here has an A-5 or A-5 magnum. The only time they won't cycle is when they are not set up correctly. My A-5 Magnum will not cycle 2 3/4 shells on the 3 inch setting. However when set properly it runs like a swiss watch as does my father inlaw's and 2 of my buddies.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.