Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Browning A5 Magnum 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning A5 Magnum 12 gauge

so my Mom pulls this gun out of a closet and says she wants me to sell it for her. what is it worth? it is in great shape and it appears that they are pricey.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #2

Default magnum browning

anywhere from 600 to 1200 bucks, according to condition and who wants it. You should check gunbroker.com to see what others are paying/selling them for.

One note: That gun wasn't designed for 3" shells originally and no matter what, when the weather gets bad and freezing cold, and the ducks are hitting the decoys, it will NOT shoot 3 times when you most want it to. You can clean it, wish over it, whatever, but it will hang up when it's cold out.

You can't beat a 2 3/4 browning, though!
JMO,
JBJ

Old 04-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

Late reply...but 58 is very wrong. Every Mag12 I've owned or shot operated superbly when set up correctly. He's been corrected on this issue elsewhere as well.

nd...if you've not sold it yet, please let me know.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

Since you are selling it, it's a moot point, but I know I have seen probably fifty 3" guns malfunction for every 2-3/4" one with an issue over the years. And I would have to agree alot of the problems were in nasty cold weather.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are several different varations of the Browning Auto 5 and with out know which it is there is no way to come close on the price, but the $ 600 to $ 1,200 range would be a good guess. As for functioning in cold weather my old Auto 5 mag. that I used to carry fox hunting 35 years ago never missed fired due to the cold that I can rember, but that was 35 years ago.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
There are several different varations of the Browning Auto 5 and with out know which it is there is no way to come close on the price, but the $ 600 to $ 1,200 range would be a good guess. As for functioning in cold weather my old Auto 5 mag. that I used to carry fox hunting 35 years ago never missed fired due to the cold that I can rember, but that was 35 years ago.
Pretty close to facts. However, I assume since it is an actual "Magnum" it is a Japan version? If so, lower your standards and prices? All Brownings and or Winchesters need to be visual inspected by a competent gunsmith to give a reliable price value???
I do have a couple of questions though? If your mother pulled it out of a closet and asked you what it was worth? Why didn't you know about it?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Since you are selling it, it's a moot point, but I know I have seen probably fifty 3" guns malfunction for every 2-3/4" one with an issue over the years. And I would have to agree alot of the problems were in nasty cold weather.
Nope. probably the friction ring was in backwards. One way is for 2-3/4 and one way is for 3" and heavy loads. It is part #35 on this list.
Browning*|*AUTO 5*|*e-GunParts.com

Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #8

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

I had a 20 gauge Auto 5 that never malfunctioned. I just did not like long recoil actions.
I don't know if the friction ring was backwards, I don't know if they were dirty, I don't know if they were rusty, I have no idea because they were not mine. But don't tell me I didn't see a lot of 3" Auto 5s malfunction, because I did. I remember it especially well, because most of the owners back then couldn't stop themselves from telling me I should have gotten an Auto 5, instead of an 1100. Upon reflection, I think most of them were actually shooting 2-3/4" shells, but I am not sure 40 years later. To say that I got intense personal satisfaction out of the situation - right after telling me, at length, that I got the wrong gun, theirs malfunctioned - would be putting it mildly.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #9

I guess I've been "corrected" elsewhere. However, I have yet to have anyone explain to me about how the rings mispositioned would cause a failure to cycle with 3" lead shells. If the rings were backward, it would just cycle harder with 3" shells and possibly crack the bolt, but not FAIL to cycle. My father owned 2 magnum brownings, a belgium and a japanese---so they were made in both places. They both hung up on 3" shells. The guns were clean, and oiled properly. I will stick to my statement. He did say that it would shoot 2 3/4 shells fine, but hang up on 3" at the most inopportune times. These guns were both purchased BRAND NEW, BTW. Now I won't argue with anyone on how their's works, and am happy for them if theirs shoots great, which several guys who use them regularly say they do. I don't disbelieve their experience with them. This is just my father's observation about HIS magnum brownings which I know to be correct because as a little boy I distinctly remember his bellyaching about it after the danged thing hung up. This is the SAME thing that happened to at least 2 other men in my area that shot browning magnums. The 2 3/4 guns are virtually flawless as far as I know, but I am untrusting of a browning magnum shooting 3" shells. Heck, they and my father may have gotten the 5 duds in 5,000,000 for all I know, but they were unreliable on 3" shells and that's all there is to it.
BTW, I'm looking for a 2 3/4 browning auto 5 with invectors if anybody has one for sale.
JBJ

Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I have to ask----how many times do you shoot the gun when fox hunting?
Not trying to be a smart-aleck, just curious..... I'm not saying the gun hung up every shot, just not 100% reliable like the 2 3/4 version when you're using 3" shells. Did you use 3" shells fox hunting?
JBJ