Browning A5 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Browning A5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mind if I jump in? I have a Standard Weight A-5 I inherited from my father. Serial number is 2325xx. Receiver and barrel are both marked Browning Arms St.Louis Mo. Is this a Remington manufacture? It sure looks that way from your chart. I always thought the gun was 50's vintage.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #12

Well did some more research. This gun is a Remington manufacture (1946).
To tell you the truth I am crushed. I always bragged I had a Belgium Browning. I find out it is American made.

I feel like the kid who had a Mickey Mantle autographed baseball and then finds out it is a fake.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10981 Times on 4757 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

Well, I looked at the Gun Traders Guide- but then I went and looked at some of the on line auctions that closed in the past 90 days- for guns that had sold. The book value for a light 12 in excellent condition is about 600. Ones that have sold, in varying conditions, run up to about $500. Right now times is hard, money is tight, and a lot of out-of-work folks are selling off guns. Expect a dealer to offer 50-60% of the book- they have to pay rent and light bills. You can also have a dealer sell on consignment- he gets a percentage of sale price (varies, 20% not uncommon, your mileage may vary) If a consignment gun does NOT sell, you will need to complete paperwork same as if buying it to get it back from dealer. .

You can also put it up for sale on an on line auction- I use Auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com. If you do that, do not set a reserve, just start the gun at the price you could live with- have good pictures. Winner sends you payment, and info on a dealer (name, address, license number). You can verify license thru ATF website (called E-Z-Check) and you ship TO the dealer.

Do not try craigslist or a local ad. Scammers and thieves. Those are great shotguns- still have my Dad's.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I can't tell for sure but there is a good chance that you have an A-5 that was made during WWII by Remington. You said that it was a FN made gun but does it actually say made in Belgium or is that just an assumption ?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #15

The barrel says Made in Belgium on the right hand side.

Browning Arms Company St.Louis Mo. is on top of the barrel and on the receiver.

The safety is different than any other A-5's I have encountered. It is located in the front of the trigger guard. I was told this is a Remington giveaway.

The gun is in excellent shape, spent years in a closet. No rust, just some scratches on the stock. Blueing is 95% (my guess)