Browning A-5 Shotgun questions - help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Browning A-5 Shotgun questions - help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Browning A-5 Shotgun questions - help

Hi, I'm roncard in VA; I just joined your site, and I have some questions about a gorgeous vintage A-5 I just bought for $100.00. Apparently the seller, an local older woman, called me and just wanted to get rid of her late husband's shotgun and she knew nothing about it other than she wanted $100.00 for it, so upon examining it, I couldn't fetch a Mr. Franklin from my pocket fast enough, LOL.
First, can someone tell me when it was made? The SN is, 2M over 89201. The plain Barrel appears to be 28" long. The left rear barrel info reads, * * (two asterisks) Special Steel - 12 Gauge - Shells 2 3/4" then is a series of what appears to be proof marks, the last one being an encircled 12-70. Could this mean the barrel was replaced in Dec., 1970 because it is a darker, blackish colored bluing than the receiver is which is an even kind of chocolate brown color. Top of the barrel is marked, Browning Arms Company St. Louis Mo & Montreal P.Q. The stock and forearm are checkered walnut with a round knob pistol grip. Buttplate is plastic. Wood finish appears to be glossy lacquer. Gun appears to be a Standard Weight, but what type choke? I'd rate the overall condition at excellent, about 90%, very clean gun with very few marks, no gouges, a few very minor surface scratches, no rust, no significant pitting, only around where the shells are inserted. Apparently a well cared for gun by the owner. Also, I wonder what the fair market value is. I greatly appreciate any help offered. Thanks, ron card

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #2

BROWNING CHOKES AND THEIR CODES (ON REAR LEFT-SIDE OF BARREL)

* designates full choke (F).

*- designates improved modified choke (IM).

** designates modified choke (M).

**- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

**$ designates skeet (SK).

*** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

Old 07-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Made in 1962 I think.
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=13

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

JSStryker Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8851 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Shotgun barrels are frequently changed- many quite easily.

Dating- from Browning's website- http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?bg=x&id=13

And if you don't have one, here is the A-5 Owner's manual- http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/11-bfa-382-a5-om.pdf

Edit- sorry, Hiwall, missed your posting.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

JSStryker Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

Default My A-5

That was rather fast, Thanks so much for the helpful replies, I see I'm among friends here. I checked out the links and, yes, I see it was made in 1962. I estimate the value at around $1,000.00 by comparing what is currently being offered for sale on the various online gun sites, and also the completed sales of what people are actually paying for similar A-5s. A-5s seem to be pretty desirable shotguns that are still in decent demand. I believe that ten years ago, this Browning would have sold for--and mine is not for sale--around $1,500.00. It appears that the down-turned economy has had a negative impact on the values of many guns. Just my considered opinion. Thanks again! ron