Break Breach VS Pump for defense
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Break Breach VS Pump for defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default Break Breach VS Pump for defense

Now when it comes to choosing a weapon, purely for defense (ie. no recreation at all), the argument is for simplicity and ease of use, this is why many people go for a revolver. But in my examination of the discussion among those who's advocate shotguns, the pump-action seems to come out on top.

I'd like to understand why this is. The pump seems to be the worst choice for a defense shotgun. Both an autoloader and a pump action risk some level of jam, even when operated correctly. However, another greater opportunity for jam is available with the pump action and that is operator error via a shortshuck.

It would seem to me that some sort of double barrel break-breech would be the logical choice. Why is this not so?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

No matter which firearm is chosen, it's use should be second nature. That in itself makes it a "better" self defence weapon.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #3

When I was stationed in Louisiana I worked with a civilian who loved the pump action as a home defense weapon. His logic was that even if the gun didn't function as it should, just the sound of the pump action would scare anyone with half a brain (even if they are breaking in) and make them run the other way. I am not saying that I support this line of thinking or any other line of thinking. Just letting you know one reason I have heard for liking a pump action over others.

Personally I have a .45 ACP in the nightstand drawer right next to me while I am sleeping

Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Break open guns are delicate they have a very high breakage of internal parts rate. They are great for sport shooting i use a double barrel cz ringneck in 12ga.

Pumps hold more ammo and are faster after the 2nd shot is over. There is nothing faster than 2 from a side byside or over under tho.

Getting reload into a break open takes a while no real getting round that. A good sd pump gives 8 shots and even then reloads are a snap pop a shell in the port and slam it closed or stuff em in the mag.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #5

Liked 188 Times on 139 Posts

The pump is the revolver of shotguns. Manual powered, and quite simple to master, and more shots. If one short shucks it and the bad guys get them, it's just Darwin at work.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default from a wise old man

The pump is an all around great gun .....but for ease of use by all in household ..ie grandma down to your 12 yr old son /daughter nothing beats a single shot ....sawed off . A wise old man told me this with this added note ..they are cheap enough to stash 1 in every room ! especially the bathroom!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Break open guns are delicate they have a very high breakage of internal parts rate. They are great for sport shooting i use a double barrel cz ringneck in 12ga.

Pumps hold more ammo and are faster after the 2nd shot is over. There is nothing faster than 2 from a side byside or over under tho.

Getting reload into a break open takes a while no real getting round that. A good sd pump gives 8 shots and even then reloads are a snap pop a shell in the port and slam it closed or stuff em in the mag.

You certainly won me over with that definitive insight.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've kept both by the bed at one time or another and had no trouble sleeping. i opted for the repeater this time around because the cheap good pump was cheaper than the cheap good double.but if you're going down a tight hallway you'll want a good coach gun.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

Liked 186 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

the only reason I would choose a pump is very simple I can put a bayonet on my pump action as for a break action I've never seen one you could. Well that and the sounds scares the hell out of people.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't rack the slide to scare them away. If they are in your house with you home, you have to assume they and are prepared or crazy enough to give you trouble.

As far as the "ease of use" argument goes. I guarantee I could have my grandpa a 6-shot pump-action and after a 30-second explanation she could run through all 6 shots without a problem (let's say it's a .410 for the recoil :P ). I mean, "click, pump, click, pump, click, pump" is not all that complicated.

really, I think it's kind of a poor argument for most cases.

A single-shot has a simple manual of arms, heh. But, I could hand my mom a loaded AR15 and she could hold off a dozen guys from getting into her bedroom. Yeah, she wouldn't be able to clear a jam and might have difficulty verifying if it's loaded or changing a mag. But, as far as emergency defensive use, most guns really aren't that difficult to empty, so I say just pick the highest-capacity / most effective one you can (within your own constraints).