Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Bolt action shotguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/bolt-action-shotguns-14066/)

spittinfire 05-22-2009 08:24 PM

Bolt action shotguns

Anyone here have a bolt action shotgun? I found a 16ga Revelation Model 316 which is actually a Mossberg 190 for $75. I thought it would be a good beater to take deer hunting and maybe make a slug gun. There are a couple of stands where I hunt that are good but just too tight for a rifle. Any thoughts?

matt g 05-22-2009 09:02 PM

Get a barrel chambered for .50 BMG made for it. Add it to your 12 ga. bolt and action. You'd have the ultimate budget long range gun.

shaneo206 05-23-2009 01:47 AM

got mossberg 183. i think it's a 183 dg not sure. it is in .410 bore.

c3shooter 05-23-2009 03:29 AM

Have a few Mossberg bolt shotguns. They were utility grade guns for hunters, farmers, and do not have a very pricy collectors following.

Matt- the barrel might take 50 BMG, but the bolt typically has one locking lug, and IT is going to end up in the next county! (having passed backwards thru shooter's skull first!)

DO be careful with slugs if you have a bolt gun with a variable choke- like the C-Lect-Choke (we used to call them dial-a-ducks) A slug may break one of the little fingers that squeeze the shot column together.

Generally inexpensive, durable, and a great first shotgun for a youngster, or tucked behind the door of a farmhouse to deal with critters, pop the occasional whitetail in the garden, etc. A dove dropped with one tastes just like one shot with a Merkel.

matt g 05-23-2009 03:50 AM

I had no idea that the bolt only had one lug.

mdw104 05-24-2009 01:16 AM

I have a Sears bolt action 12 ga (which would be a Savage model 58), with an adjustable choke. It was my father's. He bought it around 1966 or 1967 maybe. It's old enough not to have a serial number. Not a collectable...hell, it's not even pretty, but it will never be for sale. Seems to be a solid gun though. Sitting here thinking about it...it was the first gun I ever shot. Don't see too many bolt action shotguns. I've never tried to remove the barrel, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. It should work pretty good as a close range deer gun. imho.

RL357Mag 05-24-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo206 (Post 108282)
got mossberg 183. i think it's a 183 dg not sure. it is in .410 bore.

Someone gave me one of those over 30 years ago. It's a 183K. I refinished it and use it to this day. It shoots 2 1/2 and 3" shells. It's a great bird gun!

RL357Mag 05-24-2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 108204)
Anyone here have a bolt action shotgun? I found a 16ga Revelation Model 316 which is actually a Mossberg 190 for $75. I thought it would be a good beater to take deer hunting and maybe make a slug gun. There are a couple of stands where I hunt that are good but just too tight for a rifle. Any thoughts?

When I lived in a"shotgun only" county I bought a Marlin Model 512 Slugmaster. This was in 1997 and they are no longer in production. It has a rifled barrel and has a 2 round detacheable box magazine. I mounted a cheap Simmons 4x scope on it and with Remington Copper solids it will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds.. With 3" magnum Copper solids the recoil is almost unbearable, and any animal shot with this gun/load will drop in it's tracks. The Remington Copper Solid is a sabotted solid copper, segmented, hollow point .50cal bullet. It is devastating when it hits bone or soft tissue. I now live in a rifle county and at $3.50 a slug the gun will rarely ever be used anymore. It has less than 40 rds. through it mainly due to the "unpleasantness" of shooting it, as well as the possibility of a detached retina. It would be my choice for grizzly bear hunting!