Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Bolt Action Shotguns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19792 Times on 11237 Posts
Likes Given: 49873

Default Bolt Action Shotguns.

i wanted to start a thread dedicated to nothing but bolt action shotguns. the brand doesn't matter, just that it's a bolt action shotgun.

i got an older Mossberg 20 ga. bolt action last year that i refinished the stock on, and it got the bug in me going to own more of them. my first repeater shotgun years ago was a bolt action in 12 ga.

history, pictures and information on all of them.

miy current one is a Mossberg 385T model with a 28" barrel and improved cylinder choked barrel. i'll add pictures later when i can.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Liked 118 Times on 90 Posts

My first shotgun was a Mossberg bolt gun. It was and always shall be my last bolt action shotgun. I found they were abominable handling guns, practically useless for wingshooting. It's not for no reason that except for specialty slug guns they are no longer made.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
My first shotgun was a Mossberg bolt gun. It was and always shall be my last bolt action shotgun. I found they were abominable handling guns, practically useless for wingshooting. It's not for no reason that except for specialty slug guns they are no longer made.
My Mossberg is actually pretty fast and smooth handling.

As for why they are no longer made, it was mostly due to the pump action becoming cheaper, and more popular.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 471

I have a Marlin Goose gun that I use for turkey shoots. It has won an eighteen wheeler load of hams, turkeys and other prizes.

Away from a turkey shoot the goose gun is pretty useless. It has been a couple years since I have shot in a turkey shoot. I don't mind donating money to charity but I will have no part of the for profit turkey shoot.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

Liked 1073 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

You mean like this ?.............

002.jpg   western-field-2.jpg  

When all else fails.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

A HUGE percentage of the bolt action shotguns will be Mossbergs. They were not fancy, they were not sexy, but they were reliable, durable guns- typically the gun of the mechanic, storekeeper, farmer- and especially the first shotgun for a young shooter.

Follow up shots can usually be timed with a good calendar, but for one shot they usually do well.

H&R had the Gamester, Mossberg the 80, 180 and 380 series. And our own DIYguy, the old gun restoring fan just did a great job of salvaging a bolt action Mossberg that I would have thought beyond saving. Many of those guns were stocked with some fairly nice walnut.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A HUGE percentage of the bolt action shotguns will be Mossbergs. They were not fancy, they were not sexy, but they were reliable, durable guns- typically the gun of the mechanic, storekeeper, farmer- and especially the first shotgun for a young shooter.

Follow up shots can usually be timed with a good calendar, but for one shot they usually do well.

H&R had the Gamester, Mossberg the 80, 180 and 380 series. And our own DIYguy, the old gun restoring fan just did a great job of salvaging a bolt action Mossberg that I would have thought beyond saving. Many of those guns were stocked with some fairly nice walnut.
Diy has insane restoration skills. He turns complete pieces of junk into working pieces of art. That raccoon pee covered gun he just did is crazy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Diy has insane restoration skills. He turns complete pieces of junk into working pieces of art. That raccoon pee covered gun he just did is crazy.
yes he does! he is taking older inexpensive guns and making them more beautiful than they ever were new. the man has some serious talent with guns.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have a Marlin Goose gun that I use for turkey shoots. It has won an eighteen wheeler load of hams, turkeys and other prizes.

Away from a turkey shoot the goose gun is pretty useless. It has been a couple years since I have shot in a turkey shoot. I don't mind donating money to charity but I will have no part of the for profit turkey shoot.
maybe you wouldn't mind sharing some pictures of the Marlin with us.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #10

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

I had a Montgomery Wards bolt action 12 gauge. Don't remember much about it. But I remember a time I came home from the range with it. I lived in a rough neighborhood. I had been out of the Army for about a year. I was returning home in the dark. There was a group of guys that used to hang out at a picnic table below my stairwell. They used to yell obscenities at people as they walked up sidewalk at night. They could hear me coming but could not see me. I was wearing combat boots. They were yelling at me. Then I stepped into the light. I was wearing full BDUs with my combat boots. I was carrying the 12 gauge in one hand and a 50 cal ammo can in the other. The guy that was yelling at me stopped mid sentence. Paused for a second. And in a trembling voice said "Hey, how's it going?"

They were always polite to me from that moment forward.

That is all I remember of my bolt action shotgun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This