Bolt action shot guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Bolt action shot guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bolt action shot guns

I'm looking at a bolt action shotgun can anyone tell me any pros or cons

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It would help if you told us what kind of bolt action you were interested in and what is your intended use for the gun.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

I'm looking at a 12 gauge savage I'm looking to use it mainly for small game hopefully the odd pig

Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

If it is a newer Savage, you won't want to use it for small game. The modern bolt shotguns are rifled. If you are looking into an older one, almost all of them will be smoothbore. The biggest downside I have found with my bolts is that most of the other people I have let shoot them can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn with them. I personally have no problem with any of mine, then again I know where they shoot with slug or shot. Also, you tend to shoot them like you would a rifle, not the best thing when you are bird hunting. Magazine capacity is generally limited to 3 rounds, so every shot has to count. My daughter bagged her first turkey yesterday afternoon with my old Kessler 30C, and betwwen my dad and I, we have taken atleast 2 dozen deer with the 2 Mossberg 185s (a d and a ka) that are in my safe over the last 30 years. All of the above are smoothbore, and all were made in the 1940s and 50s, and all still see regular use today. The best part is, since they are not really collecor pieces, none of mine were more than $100. Bolt action shotguns are not for everyone, but one may work well for you. Check your LGS and see if they have any used ones. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

I am looking at a new one because I am located in Australia most guys haven't even heard of these so finding a second hand one is quite a struggle what difference would I find with a new rifled shotgun

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstops View Post
I am looking at a new one because I am located in Australia most guys haven't even heard of these so finding a second hand one is quite a struggle what difference would I find with a new rifled shotgun
The new Savage rifled shotguns are meant to shoot only slugs. They are manufactured for people who can't legally use rifles to hunt big game.

Marlin still manufactures a bolt action with a 30" barrel and a full choke. It is designed to produce tight patterns for goose and turkey hunters.

If you are looking at an old Savage smooth bore it will be marked with the type of choke and max shell length. When you buy any gun you should use a bore light to inspect the inside of the barrel. When you look inside the barrel you will know what you have. By the questions you are asking I would highly recommend taking someone with more weapons experience to inspect the gun before purchasing it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstops
A new one is just strictly slugs but is a 200 yard gun I have a couple buddies that own one and they are sweet guns... I live in Ohio where we are only allowed to hunt deer with a shotgun or muzzleloader so guns like this are popular here but if I could use a rifle I would just buy a high powered rifle to use before I spent the money on a bolt action shotgun like this....also marlin has made a nice fully rifled bolt action shotgun and Browning currently makes one

Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The classic ones are ugly and I luv 'em.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #9

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I had an old Monky Wards brand 12 gauge back when I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun to shoot. It always hit right where I pointed it. It was pretty cool with the big old adjustable choke on the outside of the end of the barrel.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #10

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Pros-
1) Cheap
2) The newer ones are often made purposely to shoot slugs and do quite well at that
Cons
1) Usually ugly - 500 bonus ugly points for an adjustable choke
2) They handle worse than a fence post for wingshooting

My first shotgun years ago was a bolt action. It has been gone for 50 years. I still hate it.

What could have happened... did.

kfox75 Likes This