Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Bolt action shot guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/bolt-action-shot-guns-76353/)

scottstops 11-14-2012 06:46 AM

Bolt action shot guns

I'm looking at a bolt action shotgun can anyone tell me any pros or cons

Old_Crow 11-14-2012 07:58 AM

It would help if you told us what kind of bolt action you were interested in and what is your intended use for the gun.

scottstops 11-14-2012 08:20 AM

I'm looking at a 12 gauge savage I'm looking to use it mainly for small game hopefully the odd pig

kfox75 11-14-2012 09:07 AM

If it is a newer Savage, you won't want to use it for small game. The modern bolt shotguns are rifled. If you are looking into an older one, almost all of them will be smoothbore. The biggest downside I have found with my bolts is that most of the other people I have let shoot them can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn with them. I personally have no problem with any of mine, then again I know where they shoot with slug or shot. Also, you tend to shoot them like you would a rifle, not the best thing when you are bird hunting. Magazine capacity is generally limited to 3 rounds, so every shot has to count. My daughter bagged her first turkey yesterday afternoon with my old Kessler 30C, and betwwen my dad and I, we have taken atleast 2 dozen deer with the 2 Mossberg 185s (a d and a ka) that are in my safe over the last 30 years. All of the above are smoothbore, and all were made in the 1940s and 50s, and all still see regular use today. The best part is, since they are not really collecor pieces, none of mine were more than $100. Bolt action shotguns are not for everyone, but one may work well for you. Check your LGS and see if they have any used ones. Best of luck.

scottstops 11-14-2012 10:14 AM

I am looking at a new one because I am located in Australia most guys haven't even heard of these so finding a second hand one is quite a struggle what difference would I find with a new rifled shotgun

Old_Crow 11-14-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstops (Post 1013859)
I am looking at a new one because I am located in Australia most guys haven't even heard of these so finding a second hand one is quite a struggle what difference would I find with a new rifled shotgun

The new Savage rifled shotguns are meant to shoot only slugs. They are manufactured for people who can't legally use rifles to hunt big game.

Marlin still manufactures a bolt action with a 30" barrel and a full choke. It is designed to produce tight patterns for goose and turkey hunters.

If you are looking at an old Savage smooth bore it will be marked with the type of choke and max shell length. When you buy any gun you should use a bore light to inspect the inside of the barrel. When you look inside the barrel you will know what you have. By the questions you are asking I would highly recommend taking someone with more weapons experience to inspect the gun before purchasing it.

akers06 11-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottstops

A new one is just strictly slugs but is a 200 yard gun I have a couple buddies that own one and they are sweet guns... I live in Ohio where we are only allowed to hunt deer with a shotgun or muzzleloader so guns like this are popular here but if I could use a rifle I would just buy a high powered rifle to use before I spent the money on a bolt action shotgun like this....also marlin has made a nice fully rifled bolt action shotgun and Browning currently makes one

HockaLouis 11-15-2012 12:19 AM

The classic ones are ugly and I luv 'em.

Rick1967 11-15-2012 12:31 AM

I had an old Monky Wards brand 12 gauge back when I was a teenager. It was a lot of fun to shoot. It always hit right where I pointed it. It was pretty cool with the big old adjustable choke on the outside of the end of the barrel.

Virginian 11-15-2012 01:13 AM

Pros-
1) Cheap
2) The newer ones are often made purposely to shoot slugs and do quite well at that
Cons
1) Usually ugly - 500 bonus ugly points for an adjustable choke
2) They handle worse than a fence post for wingshooting

My first shotgun years ago was a bolt action. It has been gone for 50 years. I still hate it.