Birdshot vs Buckshot - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Birdshot vs Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I live in a tiny apartment and right now have 2.75" 00 buck loaded. The angles an intruder could break into my home are good enough to avoid civilian injuries/casualties from my pellets, but "good enough" doesn't really cut it. I should probably make my first 2 shells bird shot.
It's your life. If you want to risk it with Birdshot that's your privilege. I'm glad I am not depending on you though...

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
It's your life. If you want to risk it with Birdshot that's your privilege. I'm glad I am not depending on you though...
Don't worry. Still got the buckshot loaded. Also went out and bought slugs, too.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #53

I personally wouldnt put birdshot FIRST. Probably alternate it with 00 buckshot.
Why you may ask? Well..with 00 buckshot you can easily put him down for good with 1 shot or you can severly injure, in which case another 00 buckshot would be for good. But, 00 buckshot may not be necessary for a kill. I mean I wouldnt be using 8 shot, probably a #4 birdshot, but still birdshots can do damaged. Especially if you had already effectively used 00 buckshot. But, everyone does things differently. I know any birdshot alone will not kill someone, unless you do it repeatingly within a foot or 2 from their face, but doesnt mean birdshot is only 8 or 9 shot. Low birdshots like #4 would be good for a backup round. I'm not saying you should rely on me to protect you, but get your own gun and defend yourself.

S.S.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
Don't worry. Still got the buckshot loaded. Also went out and bought slugs, too.
Stay with the buckshot. Slugs are brutal and will go through many obsticles before stopping. You don't want to take out your neighbor 2 doors down while dropping a burgular in your house...

Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 AM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would agree that I wouldn't trust my life to bird shot, but I don't wanna take the chance of over-penetrating with 00 buck, so I keep my Mossberg 500 loaded with #4 buckshot. First off, the racking of a shot alone would be enough to make most people high-tail it out. But for those people that the very intimidating sound of a shotgun rack doesn't work on, I'll trust my life to the 27 .24 caliber pellets traveling at 1325 fps to do the job. Just my .02

Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #56

have any of you ever been in a dark room and heard someone cycle ( pump.. whatever you wanna call it ) a shotty??

My guess is no. most BGs will turn tail and run just from that sound. i'm not sayin i would keep an unloaded shot gun in my house.

Simply as its been said befor many many many times. location is key. If you live somewhere that the houses, trailors, RV or whatever you live in are close to other families think twice about what kind of load you are using.

If that doesnt make you think twice, think of how you would feel if somebody broke into the Smith's house next door and Mr. Smith grabbed his 12g loaded with the round you have in your shotty. Then fired at the BG. would there be the likely hood of the round entering your home and hitting you or someone else in the house.

with that said. just dont be dumb.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #57

If that doesnt make you think twice, think of how you would feel if somebody broke into the Smith's house next door and Mr. Smith grabbed his 12g loaded with the round you have in your shotty. Then fired at the BG. would there be the likely hood of the round entering your home and hitting you or someone else in the house.
with that said. just dont be dumb.[/QUOTE]

I Know I'm new here and not trying to piss in the wind, but just wanted to share my story of over penatration.
many years ago as a teen I made the mistake of testing the tension of a new trigger spring in my 410 while having a #6 express in the chamber (hindsight is always better than foresight) Well pulling back the trigger seemed a bit stiff, safly releasing it back to zero was a bit more of a problem. So as the trigger slipped from my thumb, the distruction began. From the tip of the muzzle to the front of my bedroom door was aprox. 3ft. the entry wound was about the size of a nickle, the exit wound was the size of a golf ball. After leaving my bedroom door it preceeded to go into my bedroom wall towards the closet. The entry wound in the sheet rock was about the size of a base ball, and the exit wound was getting close to that of a softball. Once through both layers of sheet rock, it then proceeded to shred several peices of clothing in the closet (one of which was the sleeve of dad's WWII navy uniform, that was fun to explain to him) I dont know the spec's. for muzzle velocity between the 410 and 12, but im glad that the closet was between me and my sisters room and they were not home.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #58

I am using 2 shot. It will definately bring the bad guy down. Buckshot overpenetrates.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #59

The only thing I'm going to say is I don't see how you wouldn't kill a man if you shot him with 8 shot (bird shot) at 15ft away.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #60

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default birdshot and buckshot

too bad they're illegal or I'd use flachettes for home defense

but in all seriousness, I have high velocity birdshot in my home defense gun. All the bedrooms are close together and buckshot penetration might be a problem. my birdshot is 3 inch #4 shot though so its not lacking in speed or power, it'll get the job done for me. just my two cents