Birdshot vs Buckshot - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Birdshot vs Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
Really? Id love to see a full size man on the attack with a firearm that resembles a stationary 2x4.
there ARE some pretty thin and tall men, otherwise they wouldn't sell 29x34 pants!!!

Though this is just a joke and in no way meant to be a literal comparison, you'd have to admit they will look similar to 2x4 lumber!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
there ARE some pretty thin and tall men, otherwise they wouldn't sell 29x34 pants!!!

Though this is just a joke and in no way meant to be a literal comparison, you'd have to admit they will look similar to 2x4 lumber!
If only I could get that 2x4 body that all women desire

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's no doubt buckshot is better for home defense, but if you live in a house or apartment with thin walls, you MUST give serious consideration to possible over-penetration.

If you shoot and miss with buckshot, and end up killing one of your children in the next room or your neighbor's child in the next apartment, you may very well ruin your life, as well as the lives of your wife or neighbors.

If buckshot over-penetration presented a significant danger to family or neighbors, I wouldn't have a problem using #2 or larger birdshot. At a typical home defense range of about twenty feet or less, I'm confident one of the larger loads of 12-gauge birdshot would stop even a determined attacker, with a shot to either the face or heart. If the first shot doesn't put him down, you keep shooting until he does go down.

If you live in a single-family home and don't have kids, by all means use buckshot.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
There's no doubt buckshot is better for home defense, but if you live in a house or apartment with thin walls, you MUST give serious consideration to possible over-penetration.

If you shoot and miss with buckshot, and end up killing one of your children in the next room or your neighbor's child in the next apartment, you may very well ruin your life, as well as the lives of your wife or neighbors.

If buckshot over-penetration presented a significant danger to family or neighbors, I wouldn't have a problem using #2 or larger birdshot. At a typical home defense range of about twenty feet or less, I'm confident one of the larger loads of 12-gauge birdshot would stop even a determined attacker, with a shot to either the face or heart. If the first shot doesn't put him down, you keep shooting until he does go down.

If you live in a single-family home and don't have kids, by all means use buckshot.
Most that are afraid of over penetration use #4 buck.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
Most that are afraid of over penetration use #4 buck.
#4 buck will still easily penetrate the walls in most homes. If I had kids in the house, I'd be real leery of using any size buckshot.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #46

birdshot definately. you don't have to worry about over penetration. if you used buckshot it could hit your child or someone in the other room and possibly kill them. I don't want to take the chance. In an average hallway birshot will be enough. everybody worries about 1 shot stopping power but if you shoot someone with birdshot it may not take them out on the first shot but it will slow them down enough so you can get off a second shot easy(2 shots of #2 BIRDSHOT will put someone down). Birdshot also gives you the option of shooting once and holding the assailent for the police. You guys may think i'm crazy but nobody wants to take a life if you don't have to.

Last edited by shaneo206; 04-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
#4 buck will still easily penetrate the walls in most homes. If I had kids in the house, I'd be real leery of using any size buckshot.
glockfire and others that are Hell-Bent in taking a life instead of saving a life of a by stander, shame on you. The first rule in gun control is know your weapon, trajectory and load, period! Now that being said "you have to look at your situation, in hand(location, location, location) anything ring a bell with anyone? Yes, there are THIN wall apartments and yes there are out in the woods experiences that require more penetation, and they all require a different approach for safety and common sense. Please take the time and get the knowledge to do the right thing in all situationJMO

Old 04-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #48

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I am not getting into a pissing match, But in my shot gun I have a turkey load as the first round (chambered) and then Fiocchi LE 00 buck reduced recoil as the other 5. The longest shot in my house from the outside door is 15 feet. The bedroom door is only 4 feet from the entry door.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rules of engagement:

(1) Bird shot is for BIRDS

(2) Buckshot is for BAD BOYS

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #50

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I live in a tiny apartment and right now have 2.75" 00 buck loaded. The angles an intruder could break into my home are good enough to avoid civilian injuries/casualties from my pellets, but "good enough" doesn't really cut it. I should probably make my first 2 shells bird shot.