Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Birdshot vs Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Birdshot creates skin deep wounds that dont penetrate far enough to stop an assailant. He will still be in the fight.
So i take it you are offering yourself up to test this theroy? You come to my house and stand at my front door and I will stand at the top of my staires and I will shoot you with #9 you then tell me if it hurts or not.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #32

birdshot as a warning ... 000 buckshot after as a 'you didn't get the message did you?' and if that hasnt done it a SSG ... wouldnt ever let any creature I shoot suffer for too long

Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky07 View Post
birdshot as a warning ... 000 buckshot after as a 'you didn't get the message did you?' and if that hasnt done it a SSG ... wouldnt ever let any creature I shoot suffer for too long
IMO, I'd start out with something light and such to act as the "I really don't wanna have to kill you but I will with the next one" warning shot. Maybe some punk kid could run himself to the hospital instead of leaving in a morgue.

But if push ever came to that level of shove, round 2 would be with the heavy stuff.

Well, I'd have to have a shotgun as well. But that's just my bit of opinion on it all.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #34

I have 000 sitting in my Mossberg at all times.

If someone is pointing a gun at me in my home, I want the 1st shot to count. No warning shots with birdshot. I could be dead before I can get a second shot off.

If you shoot, you shoot to kill "not warn..."

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #35

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Forget charts, graphs, and You Tube videos. Take any 12 ga. shotgun, a handfull of AA Trap Loads, and a piece of 2X4. Stand the 2X4 on end, and shoot it dead center from 6 to 8 feet away and watch what happens. Then come back here and tell me how that wouldn't stop anyone. I don't care who it is, what their on, or what their intentions are, it will all end right there. Bill T.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 AM   #36

All this discussion of birdshot vs buck shot is all for naught because nobody has said what size birdshot. Are we talking dove or goose loads, lead or non-toxic? Last time I was able to goose hunt with lead I was using copper plated BB shot that was buffered. You had to let them get well off the decoys because anything less than 40 yds and you shot daylight clean through a 15 lb goose with almost every pellet. Now when you get to buckshot it runs from number 4 all the way to 000. The number 4 isnt a whole lot bigger that BB birdshot. As for home defense you will use what ever is handy and you know how to use. I once held a B&E that was in my neighbors home for police with a 30 cal steel ball in a slingshot. The perp thought it was a joke until i whistled one of those ball berings through his hand. It was the only weapon I could get my hands on quickly and since I used it often squirrel and rabbit hunting I figured why not. So before we all go comparing apples to oranges and making fruit salad lets just remember one very important fact, it dont matter what you hit him with, just keep doing it until he dont move anymore even if you have a baseball bat or a golf club.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Forget charts, graphs, and You Tube videos. Take any 12 ga. shotgun, a handfull of AA Trap Loads, and a piece of 2X4. Stand the 2X4 on end, and shoot it dead center from 6 to 8 feet away and watch what happens. Then come back here and tell me how that wouldn't stop anyone. I don't care who it is, what their on, or what their intentions are, it will all end right there. Bill T.
...... Actually, no it won't! I once had an acquaintance (Someone with whom I lost contact many years ago.) who took two rounds of 12 gauge birdshot to the neck and right shoulder at about 15 foot distance. He weighted around 165-175#'s, continued to function after being shot, got back on his feet, called 911 without any help, and saved his own life.

Just like Harry Whittington, (Remember him?) he looked like a real mess afterwards! If he's still alive, today, he's still got shotgun pellets in him. The loads were #7 1/2 birdshot. (I will, however, agree that it must have hurt like the devil!)

What did I learn? A shotgun charge needs some hefty momentum behind it if it's going to be truly effective. Small birdshot, no matter how tightly packed, lacks momentum. (mass x energy) If you want to go with a lightweight round at home, personally, I wouldn't drop below #4 birdshot.

Oh, yeah, I learned one more thing: If your wife happens to be Italian and, also, knows the combination to the gun safe, then, don't ever ever get caught cheating on her! (Why can't women be more reasonable? They give you the best years of their lives; and, all of a sudden, they think they own you - Imagine!)

Last edited by G21.45; 08-21-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #38

Default Birdshot vs Buckshot

It a bird breaks in I have birdshot or I let my cats handle it.
But if it is human. I use #4 buckshot.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #39
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

All of this is purely academic as every situation is dramatically different. Apparently, we all agree on the use of a shotgun (in general) for home defense. However, there appears to be an extensive opinion swing regarding the ammo.

I really don't know if the ammo will matter or not. Fisrt of all, you have to be able to get to your shotgun and be able to wheeld it. Now assuming you have it your hands and more or less aimed, you will probably have to cycle it if it isn't already cocked & locked. Now it's the moment of truth, you have to squeeze the trigger. No matter what ammo you have, it will make a massive muzzle blast, especially in low light. Your shotgun report will be deafening inside your home. The entire event won't take but a second or so...

Birdshot, buckshot, or whatever... just being able to grab your shotgun and being able to get at least one shot off in your perpetrators face will be (without a doubt) the show stopper. If not, you'll certainly have more shots available, especially from the shock of muzzle blast & report.

In other words; if you can't grab your shotgun, cycle it (if necessary) then wheeld it at the perpetrator and pull the trigger... ammo won't matter one way or the other. That's precisely why I keep a cocked & locked 40 S&W near by at all times. I love my shotgun, but in reality a pistol is much, much easier to wheeld in a high stress situation.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Really? Id love to see a full size man on the attack with a firearm that resembles a stationary 2x4.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW