Birdshot vs Buckshot - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Birdshot vs Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

[QUOTE=glockfire;23238]
And watch this:
QUOTE]

Judging by the spread pattern on this poor fellers face, they were quite a bit farther apart then in a close quarters situation. I am still not for certain that a 6 shot to the chest at 20 feet wouldn't be enough to stop an intruder.

I do not personally use a shotgun for home protection. I instead use a .32 pistol.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:51 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was shot in the back, by a friend no less lol, while hunting with #6 shot at about 20 yards and it was enough to send me to the ground and I aint no little feller, did it keep me down? No it did not, hurt like a muther and went to ER and had pellets dug out of my back, any closer and I believe it would do anybody in.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I was shot in the back, by a friend no less lol, while hunting with #6 shot at about 20 yards and it was enough to send me to the ground and I aint no little feller, did it keep me down? No it did not, hurt like a muther and went to ER and had pellets dug out of my back, any closer and I believe it would do anybody in.
Nor were you full of adrenaline and trying to survive a gunfight.

Last edited by glockfire; 05-06-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockfire View Post
Nor were you full of adrenaline and trying to survive a gunfight.
Amen. There is one reason and one reason only that you should EVER use birdshot for defense: because that's all you have. I am sure birdshot would hurt like a bitch, but if you're shooting a person with any gun, you have an obvious, desperate need to STOP and INCAPACITATE them. Relying on pain compliance to deter someone you have determined is enough of a threat to warrant deadly force is a bad idea from both a logical and legal perspective. Sure, at close enough distance an empty wad could feasibly incapacitate someone without the risk of overpenetration, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Buckshot is used in l/e and military shotguns (generally) for a reason, it is the best (again, generally) load for the job.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

In a Home Defense role one should look at the expected ranges you will have to fire. Inside the typical apartment, 20 feet may be a long shot. At 20 feet of less, bird shot will work just fine for MOST intruders. Heavy clothing may be sufficient to stop the shot though. A decent leather jacket would likely stop #7 1/2 shot at 20 feet. It will not stop 00 buck though.

If you are concerned about overpenetration, consider too the angle of your shot. If you fire from a position of cover (behind the bed) you will be firing at an upward angle. Is overpenetration an issue now?

Consider also every probable scenario. Will there be a gunfight that lasts longer than 1-2 shots? Will it potentially carry over onto the street (or porch)?

Perhaps you should consider loading so that the first shot is something like #4 or #6 and the followup shots are buckshot.

I saw a car burglar got zapped in the back with #4 shot at about 20 yards. Pattern was about 14 inches across. Modified choke. Shot penetrated light clothing, through ribs, heart/lungs and lodged in ribcage on far side of chest cavity. DRT (Dead Right There).

General rule of thumb for open choke (IC) barrel is 1 inch of spread for every yard from target.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #16

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default Buckshot

I agree man, i'd go with the buckshot, the bigger the better. I've 00 buck in my pump, i've actually been shot with number 4s before and it didn't penetrate my coveralls (we were rabbit hunting).

Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I once had the opportunity (or misfortune) to witness the results of a shotgun shooting, the shootee taking a load of #8 shot (1 1/8oz) at about 6 feet in the upper chest from a sawed-off single barrel 12; it bored a half-dollar sized hole clean thru the chest wall and out the back! Based on my experience of shooting thousands of shotshells over the years, it is my opinion that in a situation where a shot would be taken across a room, say a distance of 12-16 feet, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference what size shot the shell contained; a solid hit would inflict a massive wound. Should the drug crazed fellon be able to get up after that first shot; then shoot him again!
As for me personally, in the gosh-awful event that I should ever be unfortunate enough to be blasted at relatively close range with a scattergun (far enought away for the pattern to start opening up), I would hope that it would be with buck-shot; and that I would be humanely dispatched. Can you imagine someone trying to find/pick several hundred pellets out of your carcass in the event you survived? But for those who doubt the ability of 4 & 6 shot to kill humans at distances beyond 20/25 yards, let me remind you that such loads routinely kill a few unfortunate hunters every year during turkey season.
As to home defense, obviously a short barreled pump or semi would be a solid home defense weapon; but even a compact shotgun can be a bit unwieldy for a lady, a fact even more true in a panicked situation. Given that fact, I selected a Charter Arms 44 Special revolver as my wife's home defense weapon. It has a 3" barrel, no hammer spur (to avoid hanging on clothing, etc), is compact, is relatively light, and has no confusing safety for her to worry about. It is loaded with Winchester hollow-points for maximum shock; and all she has to remember is to just pull the trigger.
Finally for those who prefere a shotgun for home defense, my shot size of choice would be #4 buck. Depending on shell length and load, 18 or more .22 caliber sized pellets are delivered on the target (43 in a 3 1/2" 10-bore!). I have witnessed the effects of #4 buck loads on deer, and it is devastating. Additionally, #4 buck will pattern much better than 00 buck in most shotguns.
My hope would be that none of us ever have to face down an intruder, but it sure sounds like you guys are ready.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #18

Last night there was an episode of The First 48 that showed an X-Ray of a murder victim shot with bird shot from less than 10 feet. Nearly all of the pellets were in the middle of the chest cavity, including a group of about half of them close together in one of the lungs.

Member GCO

Old 05-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #19

.im a ole-hunter a blast from a 12 gauge at 25 yards will ne lethal
the velosity at 25 yards is still holding strong,

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..

Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #20

I'd prefer not to get shot with any shotgun, regardless of shot size. I believe the effectiveness of birdshot depends more on the subjects desire to stay and fight instead of finding the nearest hospital. A good friend of mine was shot in the face with birdshot at close range at which time his handgun was dropped. He was chased back to his patrol car in an attempt to retrieve his shotgun when he was finished off with buckshot to the head. IMO, I don't think the majority of burglars will stick around after getting shot with birdshot, however, I personally prefer the proven stopping power of buckshot. If overpenetration is that much of an issue, why not choose a different type of firearm loaded with Glasers. I'd rather patch one hole in the drywall than several hundred! LOL