Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Sporting Clays Gun:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Yep, classics should be left alone. I also have a SXS but it is a simple Savage Fox 12 ga. At the time, having chokes installed w be expensive so I had the barrels opened up to IC/MOD.

Browning Chokes & Briley both have excellent reputations. I have not heard of Muller but I am in favor of anything that doesn't need cleaning.

I had a Rhino skeet choke but it didn't pattern well w bargain basement ammo. For what I paid, I expected patterns the size of Texas w all ammo. I wish all chokes were created equal but my expectations didn't meet w reality.
The really cool thing about Muller is this. Where most chokes come in at CYL, SKEET, IC, LM, MOD, IMOD, LFULL, FULL, IFULL...Muller only has U1, U2, U3, U4.

I run two U2s which are billed as the shot pattern of an IC choke, but the shot density of a Light mod/mod choke.

I feel comfortable shooting anything from ~10-40 yards before swapping to U4s which are IMOD/Full

supposedly they get some of the bbs from the rear end of the shot cloud up to the front for a more uniform pattern. All I know is that when I hit a clay, it doesn't chip, it BREAKS.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

True enough, whatever breaks more clays is what counts at the end of the day. pattern boards don't lie but they also don't tell us the shot string. All those BBs don't get there at the same time.

What U w be good for skeet ? I'm still looking for a patterns the size of Texas. Shot w a gent who had a choke called diffusion - he said it was actually wider than barrel and by his own admission, hit birds he didn't deserve. I could use an edge like that.... Forgot who made it though.

They don't make Diana grade chokes for my Baretta 391 - it's 2002 - mobile choke. Newer optima are better but won't fit my gun. (.732 vs .721 Diameter)

A good friend bought an older Browning Citori w fixed skeet chokes. It produced better patterns than my gun w expensive Rhino choke. A point he never let me forget - if ya know what I mean.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #33

Quote:
True enough, whatever breaks more clays is what counts at the end of the day. pattern boards don't lie but they also don't tell us the shot string. All those BBs don't get there at the same time.

What U w be good for skeet ? I'm still looking for a patterns the size of Texas. Shot w a gent who had a choke called diffusion - he said it was actually wider than barrel and by his own admission, hit birds he didn't deserve. I could use an edge like that.... Forgot who made it though.

They don't make Diana grade chokes for my Baretta 391 - it's 2002 - mobile choke. Newer optima are better but won't fit my gun. (.732 vs .721 Diameter)

A good friend bought an older Browning Citori w fixed skeet chokes. It produced better patterns than my gun w expensive Rhino choke. A point he never let me forget - if ya know what I mean.

For skeet the only Muller choke available would be the U1-Cylinder/IC, but yea, a guy here at school shoots with a diffuser choke, it's supposed to really spread out the pattern. My only concern is getting gaps here and there.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Who makes it ? I'm not sure porting does anything except make it harder to clean. (choke wise). How much $$$$ ? Almost afraid to ask.... Not much left in tthe Budget...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Who makes it ? I'm not sure porting does anything except make it harder to clean. (choke wise). How much $$$$ ? Almost afraid to ask.... Not much left in tthe Budget...
Browning Invector Plus Extended Black Oxide 12ga. Diffusion Choke ~$67.95

http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorextendedblackoxidex2choke.aspx

Now, I've never shot theses, but the Gauge/Construction chart says it's .005 just like Skeet...It's just supposed to reach full sized pattern earlier because the rifling in the choke spins the shot cloud out to its edge.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #36

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the Briley Diffusion choke with my FN SLP and the 18-inch barrel. Spreads buckshot to a larger pattern than the cylinder choke and the rifling works well with slugs. The porting is to slow the wad (the gas vents in back of the wad slowing it), allegedly making the shot pattern better because the wad doesn't push through the shot making a hole in the pattern.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I use the Briley Diffusion choke with my FN SLP and the 18-inch barrel. Spreads buckshot to a larger pattern than the cylinder choke and the rifling works well with slugs. The porting is to slow the wad (the gas vents in back of the wad slowing it), allegedly making the shot pattern better because the wad doesn't push through the shot making a hole in the pattern.
Wish we could try chokes before we buy. I'd love to try the Diffusion but I don't know if it would get me any better results. Might even produce gaps w my 391.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1489 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 515

The OP is looking for something that doesn't exist. There is no gun that will make up for lack of natural talent. Find a good instructor and shoot the gun you have.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The OP is looking for something that doesn't exist. There is no gun that will make up for lack of natural talent. Find a good instructor and shoot the gun you have.
I agree that you can not buy experience but there is somethig to be said for "gun fit," good ammo, and quality chokes. Good chokes & quality ammo provide uniform patterns with no gaps for skeet to escape.

My own pattern testing has demonstrated quite a variety of performance. All guns, chokes, ammo are not created equal. If the gun/ammo/choke, doesn't shoot where you are looking - you can shoot till judgement day w/o improvement.

To Complicate Life:
Anyone can develop the problems w their swing, just like the "yips" in putting. The 20 ga State Champ showed up at our range to give a private lesson. It was to the man (An older & former State Champ) who had taught him the finer points of skeet shooting. He was going through a rough patch and wise/brave enough to ask for help. I noticed he was shooting a K-80 so you know it wasn't the equipment.

There are many stages shooters go through as they develop through fundamentals to the mental game. (Scores - 20's, 30's, 40-44, 45-50.) I'm going to leave out the level where they put together multiple perfect scores since I've never been there.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #40

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Me and my buddy shoot a winchester 1400 and a stoger M3000