Best Shotgun Under $300? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Shotgun Under $300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You can pick up a benelli nova pump, up for a little over $300.00 dollars, a littlie cheaper if you find a used one. I own one and love it. Come to think of I love my 870 to there both great guns, really its personal choice but you cant go wrong with neither one. Not to say their arent some really great shotguns put out by other companies but those two are my favorite.

Last edited by DavidTurley; 03-04-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: left something out

Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Everybody needs a remington 870 right? They are classic!
Great all around gun, simple, easy to find parts and ammo. They also stand the test of time and become something to pass down to the kids/grandkids.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Everybody needs a remington 870 right? They are classic!
Great all around gun, simple, easy to find parts and ammo. They also stand the test of time and become something to pass down to the kids/grandkids.
I like how you think!!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
The Hawk 982 is the best deal going on a defense shotgun. It's average priced is around $200.

GC
Just bought one last week for $200. The as a brand new gun the rounds do stick in the magazine tube from time to time, and the last round ALWAYS sticks. It got a little better after I put 75 rounds through it but that last round still doies not load, and the others are not consistent. I would say out of 10 times you rack it, maybe 8 times it will load a round... unless it is the last round, then it NEVER loads. I still like the shotgun and the fact that it comes with ghost sights is great. However; 2 days ago I walked into Caswells here in Mesa, AZ and saw that they had a Mossburg 500 that holds 8 rounds on sale for $200. I just about threw up.

Hope this helps man!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Just bought one last week for $200. The as a brand new gun the rounds do stick in the magazine tube from time to time, and the last round ALWAYS sticks. It got a little better after I put 75 rounds through it but that last round still doies not load, and the others are not consistent. I would say out of 10 times you rack it, maybe 8 times it will load a round... unless it is the last round, then it NEVER loads. I still like the shotgun and the fact that it comes with ghost sights is great. However; 2 days ago I walked into Caswells here in Mesa, AZ and saw that they had a Mossberg 500 that holds 8 rounds on sale for $200. I just about threw up.

Hope this helps man!

Change out the mag tube spring with a Wolff extra power universal spring. They come 40" long. Cut it to 28" and bend the ends down so they don't stick up. The problem will go away.

If you think you made the wrong choice sell the Hawk 982 with the nice set ghost ring sights and buy the plain fixed mag tube Moss 500.

GC

Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Just bought one last week for $200. The as a brand new gun the rounds do stick in the magazine tube from time to time, and the last round ALWAYS sticks. It got a little better after I put 75 rounds through it but that last round still doies not load, and the others are not consistent. I would say out of 10 times you rack it, maybe 8 times it will load a round... unless it is the last round, then it NEVER loads. I still like the shotgun and the fact that it comes with ghost sights is great. However; 2 days ago I walked into Caswells here in Mesa, AZ and saw that they had a Mossburg 500 that holds 8 rounds on sale for $200. I just about threw up.

Hope this helps man!
Normal,
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your new Hawk 982. Since you bought it a week ago...can you bring it back to the store for a credit? It's terrible that you have to buy new parts and work on a brand new shotgun.
The Hawk 982 has had trigger issues also. When the Hawk 982's trigger starts acting up it's best to replace the trigger assembly with a Remington 870's trigger group. I hope you don't start having problems with the shell latches. In some cases the shell latches just fall out. At least those have been my experiences.

Bring it back and get a full credit before it's too late.
Good Luck-

Old 03-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #27

I have never owned the Maverick so I can't say either way. I hear they are good guns. BUT I have and still do own 870's. I have three now, One is the bedroom, one in my shop and one near the back door. Over the years I have purchsed and sold several more, most of them used, some well under $200.00 They are the most realible shotgun I have owned. I try to take care of my weapons but I do use them too. At times a couple of the 870s have been used and abused buy family members and other than some bad shells, I have never had a problem with any of them. As the saying goes, "They always go bang when you pull the trigger"

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post

Hope this helps man!
I'm really sorry to hear about this. Like I have preached before the QC of chinese stuff is just not there. They might ship out 3000 good units, but who knows how many bad ones. "Lifetime warranty" used to mean "We make a great product and we stand behind it," now it seems it means "We make crap, but we sell so many we can afford to replace/fix 25% of what we sell."

I hate for your bad luck to prove a point but it did. I would seriously consider taking it back and getting that 500. I have a 500 that has had several thousand 00 full power loads through it and never once a problem. I have also used 870's for work and those things are treated worse than patrol cars and they go bang every time. I wouldn't be satisfied with that Hawk, esp when you have a problem right off the bat and someone who talks about how great they are says for it to be "reliable" you have to spend more money on it. That's crap as far as I'm concerned.

Once again I'm really sorry about your problems.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #29

The Mossberg 590 20" barrel shoguns have had problems with their mag tube springs being too weak and hanging up in the mag tube causing reliably problems. I sell a lot of Wolff extra power springs to 590 owners. Mossberg now puts a higher quality springs in their newer 590 shotguns.

Many of the Mossberg 930 SPX shotguns had problems when they first came out with the LPA front sight being mounted off center and canted. Also the front sight wasn't tall enough causing a high POI even with the rear sight adjusted all the down and the front sight adj all the way up. Mossberg had to replace a lot of very costly barrels. The fix was they now put a 1/8" shim under the front sight assembly and the front sight is mounted on center. The 930 SPX has also had weak mag spring problems.

Many of the 870 Express shotgun manufactured in the last 6 years or so have had problems with rough and or under size chambers. This causes shells to stick in the chamber when fired.

Most of the Remington 870 Tactical shotguns with the gray powder coat finish have had problems with finish flaking off. Remington has had to refinish a lot of these 870 shotguns.

As you can see replacing a mag tube spring in a Hawk 982 shotgun is a very minor problem.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 03-07-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #30

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
The Mossberg 590 20" barrel shoguns have had problems with their mag tube springs being too weak and hanging up in the mag tube causing reliably problems. I sell a lot of Wolff extra power springs to 590 owners. Mossberg now puts a higher quality springs in their newer 590 shotguns.

Many of the Mossberg 930 SPX shotguns had problems when they first came out with the LPA front sight being mounted off center and canted. Also the front sight wasn't tall enough causing a high POI even with the rear sight adjusted all the down and the front sight adj all the way up. Mossberg had to replace a lot of very costly barrels. The fix was they now put a 1/8" shim under the front sight assembly and the front sight is mounted on center. The 930 SPX has also had weak mag spring problems.

Many of the 870 Express shotgun manufactured in the last 6 years or so have had problems with rough and or under size chambers. This causes shells to stick in the chamber when fired.

Most of the Remington 870 Tactical shotguns with the gray powder coat finish have had problems with finish flaking off. Remington has had to refinish a lot of these 870 shotguns.

As you can see replacing a mag tube spring in a Hawk 982 shotgun is a very minor problem.

GC
10 characters
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me