Best Shotgun Under $300?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Shotgun Under $300?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Zor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best Shotgun Under $300?

Hey All,

I am looking into buying my first gun which I want primarily for hunting/home defense. At first I was set getting a pistol but after talking to more experienced gun owners they said a shotgun would probably be the best fit for my needs and budget. My questions to you all if what do you think the best shotgun in for around $300? I'm looking for a repeating shotgun so I wouldn't have to reload after every shot or two. I've seen some lever action and pump shot guns that fit this description such as the Mossberg 500 and Winchester 1887 but I truly don't know very much about them.

My criteria is basically this:
1) Around $300
2) Repeating Action
3) Durable/Reliable
4) Easy to find, average priced ammo
5) Good for home defense/hunting

Any suggestions or more information would be very appreciated. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Have to go with the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Both are very good, reliable, common shotguns.

Used, you can always find these for sale in your price range and everyone has parts or accessories for them.

JD

Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

The Hawk 982 is the best deal going on a defense shotgun. It's average priced is around $200.

GC

Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Have to go with the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Both are very good, reliable, common shotguns.

Used, you can always find these for sale in your price range and everyone has parts or accessories for them.

JD
I concur, very reliable, economical and available.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Ive had my 870 express magnum for almost 10 years and it has not given my a single problem.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

JD
Another 'big ups' for Dillinger's statement. A used Mossy 500 can be had for less than $200, and you can get an 18.5" smooth bore barrel new for a good deal less than $100. Less than 3 bills, you have an HD shotty and a hunting shotty good for shot or rifled slugs.

The Remmy 870 is harder to find for under $300 and extra barrel. Closer to $400 so not much more.

Stocks, barrels, chokes and many other aftermarket stuff is available everywhere for both models.

Ammo for the .12 ga is easy to find, not pricey and just damn impressive.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

If you are willing to shop carefully amongst the used racks, you can have a good hunting/defense weapon, and about $150 left over for ammo.

Yes, the 500 and 870 are both good. But there are SCADS of used Ithaca Deerslayers, High Standard Flite Kings, and even the odd Mdl 11 floating out there.

Am personally fond of pump guns, but there are good used autoloaders in your price range. Take a stroll over to auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, search for USED 12 g shottys, set price at about $200, see what crops up. DO remember that a gun bought this way will need to have shipping and a FFL fee paid, so include that in your calculations. But my last gently used autoloader set me back $150.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't discount the Maverick 88 either, which can be had for under $250 new for the 6- or even 8-shot security models. If you are really on a budget, you can get the field model at walmart for less than $160+tax (locally, at least), and simply cut the barrel down to 18.5". Functionally they are almost identical to the M500s, except the trigger group is different (built-in cross-bolt safety, instead of on the tang), and the foreend setup is different. I used to own a Maverick 88 12g, and currently own both a Mossy 500 and 590A1, and all of them are internally identical (once you pull the trigger group out, the guts are all the same).

The only reason I got the Mossberg 500 instead of another 88 was because they don't offer the Maverick in .410 (it is my GF's).

But other than that I prefer the ergonomics of the M5xx or the 870 anyways. Loading the mossberg is both more sure--if your fingers slip before getting the shell all the way in, you don't have to worry about the riser flap thing tossing your shell back out like on the 870 (not to mention getting your thumb pinched or glove caught). And the location of the slide release is easier to reach.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 02-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #9

I agree with the maverick, it is simply a more economical mossberg 500

Up here an 8 shot 20" barrel Maverick 88 can be had for $190 at walmart anyday... I have 2 maverick 88's and they are just as good as my mossberg 500's.

The only 3 differinences I can think of is the pump slide is not interchangeable like the 500, the receiver is not drilled and tapped for optics mounts on top and the safety is on the trigger guard, not the tang as with the 500.

It would leave plenty of money left for getting the receiver drilled for mounts if you like, or a flashlight mount under the barrel for home defense or whatever pleases you.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On my GF's M500, I drilled and countersunk the receiver from the inside, so the threaded portions of the countersunk screws stick up out of the receiver, and then I secure the raised rail pieces with small nuts. A little ghetto, but it's absolutely not going anywhere and it is technically more durable than tiny screws into a couple millimeters of aluminum.

But yeah, Mav88 is going to be your best bet, IMO. You can spend the extra $100 on a $30 recoil Limbsaver pad, perhaps a simple light setup, and a couple hundred rounds of practice ammo.