Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Shotgun & Loadout For Home Defense?

View Poll Results: Which Rifle Should I Buy For Home Defense?
Remington Model 870 Shotgun 43 58.90%
Mossberg & Sons 500 J.I.C. (Just In Case) Shotgun 23 31.51%
Neither. Will Explain/Suggest In Topic Reply 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pistol Grips

I'm a little late here, but I voted for the 870...Like the browning shotguns better...However, I was surfin the net in search of articles on home defense shotguns and ran across this article that suggested "no pistol grips" on shotguns...The reason is if firing the shotgun for practice and fun and running plenty of rounds thru it...Carpal Tunnel can become a problem with the "hard kicking" shotguns...Just thought I would being that one up....I can believe it, I held a pistol grip 870 in the gun shop and it did put a "funny feeling" to the grip of the weapon....WhiteWolf

Old 01-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf4 View Post
I'm a little late here, but I voted for the 870...Like the browning shotguns better...However, I was surfin the net in search of articles on home defense shotguns and ran across this article that suggested "no pistol grips" on shotguns...The reason is if firing the shotgun for practice and fun and running plenty of rounds thru it...Carpal Tunnel can become a problem with the "hard kicking" shotguns...Just thought I would being that one up....I can believe it, I held a pistol grip 870 in the gun shop and it did put a "funny feeling" to the grip of the weapon....WhiteWolf
Aye, I would never get a shotgun without a stock until I better my arm strength, pistol grips are awesome for home defense because you can move the gun around a easier but the kick is extreme. I have a Mossberg 88 (their Maverick line) I had a pistol grip on that and the kick on that sucker made my hand hurt for two weeks after I took it to the range. Pistol gripped shotguns will have a higher Strength and Endurance requirement on part of the person in order to properly fire it. I was thinking of getting the Knoxx Spec Ops Breachergrip, the video they have on their site gives a good light on that grip for ease of fire.

My grandpa used to have a double barrel sawn-off shotgun with a wood stock for home defense and fired that sucker with one hand and he had a good handle on it, he wasn't a weak man either. So it has to do with Strength requires too for anyone.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #23

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Both guns are perfect for home defense. If you want to go with a 20 Ga. to reduce recoil, that's fine. As for ammo, I recommend #4 Shot. 00 Buck will penetrate through four double walls of 5/8 sheet rock, as will a 9mm or .45 round. If the girlfriend or you are hiding in an adjacent room, you could get hit. Interior walls are generally sheeted with 1/2 inch rock today as the 5/8 is heavier and more expensive, therefore; greater penetration room to room. Think about how you will be using the weapon before deciding on type and ammo.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Doesn't Mossberg have a .410 Home Defense Shotgun? What's people's say on.410? They seem kind of skimpy when I fired one.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

was watching the new show "Best Defence" and this was a topic apparently birdshot os the best as it wont over penetrate in doors and and has enough to take down an attacker

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default 870/MOSS/500 Big shot/little shot

I have an old Moss. 500-Just bought an old 870. I will keep my old Moss. close, with #4 Duck Loads in it for the best of all use, in my opinion!!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Better late than never...
I'm new to shotguns, but not new to guns.
There is already a lot of god advice as to which weapon and ammunition so I won't go into that.
I will repeat what my father told me as a boy.

"It is kill or be killed. If you pull a weapon on your assailant, it will put him on the offensive. If he is armed, he WILL shoot you. If he is unarmed, he could possibly wrestle the weapon from you and shoot you with it.
You must know your weapon... Be skillful with it... Know your target... and most of all, You "MUST" be willing and able to kill."

Ther are a lot of moral and legal aspects self defense. I suggest you read this book.
(The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob)

Guido
(yes, I "am" in left field)

Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #28

i am an 870 fan myself, but i would think you would be able to get around the house better with the mossberg. I would have to say the mossberg if your only using it for home defence.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
Supporting Member

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSan View Post
Recently I've been literally forced by our economic down-slide to relocate to cheaper area of town (Las Vegas, Nevada [Ghetto]) and have recently noticed a sharp spike in the local gang activities around my area. For example, a neighbor three doors down was recently forced at gun-point into her home and was subsequently robbed and raped at gun-point.

Now I am not living alone. My girlfriend is currently living with me and I am concerned about her (our) protection. That being said, I feel it is time I embrace our Second Amendment and purchased a shotgun for home-defense purposes. However I am on the fence about which *boom-stick* I should buy. Let me be clear: If someone enters my home uninvited, I want to put the said scum-bag down as quickly as possible.

So tonight, I've been browsing various gun-manufacturer websites and reading various reviews about the available shot-guns. I have narrowed my view to two shotguns, in particular.

So ... which one do you think would be easier to use in an Urban environment? Which one do you think would be easier for my girl to handle during a desperate moment? I am strongly interested in the opinions of those who own or have owned, use, or have used, one or both of these rifles.

While on the subject ... what would a good load-out be? I am thinking 00-Buckshot for the sheer stopping power. If it's a game of life or death, I am hardly concerned with the collateral damage. My own real concern would be over-penetration and killing my next-door-neighbor. So does anybody have any useful advice for me? Thanks so much, a hundred times over.

^^ Mossberg & Sons 500 J.I.C. (Just In Case) Cruiser Shotgun

^^ Remington Model 870 Shotgun
Another Option:

Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #30

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I voted for the 870 even though I just bought a Mossberg 500 SP. I went the 870 route since the J.I.T. is a pistol grip. I'm not a total fan of pistol grips. In the terms of handguns, I think I might go with a good revolver if you are inexperienced. I've got 2 Smith's. With revolvers there's not a lot of mechanical issues. The capacity is lower, but for a HD gun, it might be the way to go.

This is all just MY opinion.