Best Shotgun & Loadout For Home Defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Shotgun & Loadout For Home Defense?

View Poll Results: Which Rifle Should I Buy For Home Defense?
Remington Model 870 Shotgun 43 58.90%
Mossberg & Sons 500 J.I.C. (Just In Case) Shotgun 23 31.51%
Neither. Will Explain/Suggest In Topic Reply 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

have you thought about buying TWO norinco 87's for the price of one remington 870? You could keep one in the bedroom, and one on the opposite side of the house. Getting to your protection is just as important, and this will allow you a chance to do so.

The norinco is a chinese version of the remington, and there are many posts on the internet about it's build quality. I think classic arms has them for $150 right now.

Anyway, just a thought. And as everyone has said already: A BIG key to your safety is knowing how to use your firearm. Go out and practice a bunch...

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #12

Another opinion, since I voted "Neither" and am now obligated to explain my vote.

I would suggest either a Winchester Mod 1897 or an Ithaca Model 37. Both of these should be in the 18" to 20" riot configuation (with shield and bayo lug, if possible).

The reasons for my suggestions are as follows:

The Winch 1897 is ugly and heavy (the heavy helps reduce recoil and the adrenaline rush will make it seem light if you ever really need to use it). The ugly helps (maybe) on intimidation with the bad guy(s). Also the '97 has an external hammer. That is always a nice feature.

The Ithaca is a very light, very fast action and ejects and feeds from the bottom. This helps with the right handed / left handed thing.

These are both military shotguns and will take a lot of abuse and neglect. Both will "slamfire" which may or may not be of use to you (this is only true of pre-1976 (?) Ithacas, I believe). Both have provisions for slings.

As to ammo, #4 buck is the FBI load. 00 & 000 are about .38 cal, so they are comparable to emptying (sp?) a six shot revolver all at once. Slugs are also an option unless you need to worry about over-penetration. They work great on car bodies however! There are lots of other speciality rounds (fletchettes, "wired" shot, etc). Check the web.

So, another opinion. Just remember, opinions are worth what you pay for them!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Neither.

I'd recommend that you start off with a handgun. It gives you greater flexibility than a shotgun. If you live in a bad area, you'll need to defend yourself in places other than your home. A handgun can be easily carried in your car and on your person, once you get a concealed carry permit.

If you can afford both, buy both. If you can only afford one gun, go with a handgun.

A 9mm would be a good caliber to start with. Your girlfriend could handle it without any problem, and 9mm is probably the least expensive centerfire ammo you can buy.

Shop around at a number of gun shops, preferably one that has a range where you can rent and shoot various brands and models of handguns. Take your girlfriend with you and check out a variety of different ones.

Since both you and your girlfriend are inexperienced with firearms, I'd recommend you both take the NRA Basic Pistol course. Then take a concealed carry course and apply for your concealed permits. You can inquire about both courses at the gun shops you go to.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #14

I Love my old Mossberg 500 in 12 ga. with an 18 inch barrel.
Doc

"If you are a warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon,
then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today."

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Last edited by docholiday; 10-23-2008 at 03:25 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #15

I have shot both the 870 and the Mossy 500. My friend has a Remington 870 Express, 8 shot, top folding stock. I have somewhat the same setup on my Mossy 500. 18.5" barrel, top folding stock, flashlight mount on the barrel, and I use 00 buck cause I don't need to worry about over-penetration. But to tell you the truth, you really can't go wrong with either one. I would go to some of the gun shops or sporting goods stores in your area and see what you can get a good deal on. And if it's a gun store never pay what the marked price is, Ive never seen a gun store that wouldn't drop the price to make the sale.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
Neither.

I'd recommend that you start off with a handgun. It gives you greater flexibility than a shotgun. If you live in a bad area, you'll need to defend yourself in places other than your home. A handgun can be easily carried in your car and on your person, once you get a concealed carry permit.

If you can afford both, buy both. If you can only afford one gun, go with a handgun.

A 9mm would be a good caliber to start with. Your girlfriend could handle it without any problem, and 9mm is probably the least expensive centerfire ammo you can buy.

Shop around at a number of gun shops, preferably one that has a range where you can rent and shoot various brands and models of handguns. Take your girlfriend with you and check out a variety of different ones.

Since both you and your girlfriend are inexperienced with firearms, I'd recommend you both take the NRA Basic Pistol course. Then take a concealed carry course and apply for your concealed permits. You can inquire about both courses at the gun shops you go to.
This is really the only good info that I've seen in this thread. Your girlfriend, and possibly yourself will be intimidated by the kick of a 12 ga and therefore, won't practice with it. A 9mm pistol can be handled by both of you and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Frangible ammo or personal defense hollow points can be kept in the pistol when at home as well.

Trust me, I know of what I speak. The first time you spend a weekend of firing a couple of cases of shells through the 12 ga (or even a 20 ga. for a newbie), neither of you will ever want to shoot it ever again. A 9mm, however, will not tear your shoulder apart like a shotgun will.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #17

Excellent point, matt g.!

I frequently forget that I am recoil insensitive. I honestly don't notice a difference in recoil between an M1 Carbine and an Enfield "Jungle" Carbine.

Pistols are a much better place to start.

Probably much easier to find a place to practice also.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

great advise however i will add that i am a male wt is 135 im not a big built guy but i can shoot my mossy 500 pistol grip with one hand and hit my target with ease. so in terms of his lady friend she just needs to practice a bit just to get the feel of the gun an to condition herself to the report of the gun. with time size of load has nothing to do with the little lady

the knoxx grips can be pricey if your concerned about money, a good alternative is cabelas. the have a collapsable stock that is very nice and is half the price, plus you can take the butt stock off and make it a pistol grip if u need to and then pop it on ina literally a second

Last edited by matt g; 11-07-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #19

I voted for the 870. The one you have pictured is the Marine Magnum, and that finish bumps the price up a fair amount. You can get the same gun, set up the same way, in a less expensive finish.

The 870 is a gun I've shot all my life and I've found it to be very reliable. As noted, you both need to condition yourselves to the recoil. And you don't do that by going out and shooting a case or two of shells at one time, no more than you would go out on a 10 hour horseback trail ride if you weren't used to time in the saddle.

Your lady can handle a 12 with practice and getting used to it. The key is getting her to learn to properly shoulder the gun and then fire it. If she fires before the gun is fully set to her shoulder, she's going to hurt herself. And I would not get a pistol grip. You can get an adjustable stock as noted to make the gun comfortable for both of you. If you look around, you can find dealers that already have an adjustable stock mounted.

You definitely should put a light mount/light on the gun. You can spend $40 doing this, or $300 if you get crazy with it. I'd just stay at the low end of the price range. You can get a good light with momentary/constant on and a decent mount for not a lot of money that will work just fine for you.

My $0.02

jbw
NRA Member

Old 11-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #20

I would go with either a mossberg or Remington 870. If pull (length of the stock) and recoil are a consideration I would go with a recoil reducing and adjusting stock. They are expensive but kill both birds.

http://www.smartgunner.com/mesatacticallow-tubetelescopingstockkitremington870-1.aspx

As far as ammunition I would stick with #4 buck or #00 buck. Anything else may not stop an intruder. As for exotic ammunition stay away, especially non lethal. It might sound good but never point your weapon unless your life is in danger and never pull the trigger unless you need to terminate the situation.