Best shotgun for beginner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best shotgun for beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best shotgun for beginner

I am just starting my search for a shotgun. I want something that is easy to operate, clean, maintain and has the least amount of kick. It would be used for vermin--possibly an occasional coyote. I have very little gun experience. But now that I am way out in the country, I realize I should have something for protection.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I bought my middle son an H&R Topper deluxe in 20ga. He has used it for waterfowl, crows, skeet. One problem w/ a 20ga is all I can find local for shot is #5. I use #4 minimum in 12ga for coyotes. Good shotgun overall, great price.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I would go with a Remington 870 - in whatever configuration you choose. As long as you hold the butt in tight to your shoulder, the recoil is easily manageable with 2 3/4" loads. Plus there is a plethora of ammo choices in 12ga, including low recoil loads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mossberg 500 in 20ga. A single shot, break-down H&R or NEF will also suit your needs. Have fun and let us know what you choose.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #5

I would argue against a single shot if you are concerned with recoil. The gun will weigh nearly nothing and more recoil will be delivered to the shooter.

A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pump would fit the bill. Both proven workhorses, with lots of aftermarket support. Either 12 or 20 gauge would work, but you lose a bit of ammo variety and availability with 20 ga.

Both guns are reasonably priced (less than $300), and can be found at any self-respecting gun shop.

After you buy either, find a couple local buddies, get a box of clays and a thrower, and a giant box of 9 shot ammo. You will not believe how much fun you can have with your new boomstick.

Bear in mind, you can hunt nearly any north American game with a 12 gauge. From slugs to bird shot, there is appropriate ammo for most any quarry.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

As you notice, nobody has suggested the .410. Though small in gauge, it is more for the expert shotgunner. I hate to see someone get disappointed with shotgunning, and that is what happens with the .410. Less pellets thrown means more missed targets for the beginner.

A 20 gauge is good to start with. A 12 throws out more pellets, but has more felt recoil than a 20.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Recoil is not really something I would concern myself with. In all reality the 12 ga birdshot load is extremely manageble as someone mentioned. As far as single shot vs pump action, the difference in recoil is negligible.

12 or 20 ga are both good choices and will do anything you ask them to do within reason. I would personally recommend the 12. As far as the gun there are a lot of good choices out there, but if it were me I would choose a Mossy or the Remington both in pump config. Just because you said you said you wanted ease.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

I bought a Benelli Supernova 12 ga as my first shotgun. Yes, a little more expensive than the other options, but a very high quality pump action shotgun. It is easy to disassemble and clean, and has a recoil reducing stock. I didn't believe much about the recoil reducing until I shot my buddy's regular Nova, almost the same gun, but with a standard synthetic stock. The recoil difference is quite noticeable. We like to go shoot clays all day long sometimes, so it's nice not feeling it quite as much on the shoulder.

"In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real."- NY Times.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are the best entry level scatterguns IMHO. Both are solid performers and are inexpensive options. I bought my Mossberg 500 at a local WalMart for about $225. It does not have the best fit and finish but it gets the job done every time.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #10

Go with the Remington 870 - they come in many variations (I own two).

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are very similar inside and out and both great shotguns but the Remington seems to be more popular and in higher demand. Just be sure to get a shotgun with dual action bars (the metal bars that attach the pump to the action) since they are more durable and reliable.

As for ease of shooting, my wife (130 lbs) has shot both of my 870s and didn't have a problem with them.