best shotgun???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > best shotgun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default best shotgun???

Ive been looking into buying a new semi-auto shotgun. This shotgun would be used primarily for shooting clays and pheasant hunting. I have been looking a lot at the winchester super x3 sporting model. I also like the versa max and the browning maxus. I would like to keep it around $1000 and want to buy a new shotgun. I would appreciate any recomendations or suggestions anyone could make. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #2

Liked 676 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Default Auto shotgun...

IMHO... the best choices for around $1000 would be either the Remington 1100 series; http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/autoloading-model-1100.aspx ..or a Weatherby SA-08; http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns ... I have owned that model Remington (Brother-In-Law now has it) and currently have the Weatherby and can attest to their smoothness and reliability.

...You could always find a nice used Browning A5 also on Gunbroker (Grandad had one of those). I can also recommend an Ithaca model 51 also (Daddy had one of those!!)

Last edited by NC1760; 05-30-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelled "Ithaca" wrong...Opps!!
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8004

Bclark, have you had the caance to shoot any of the makes and models you listed above? If not, I would see if anyone you know owns one, and if they would be willing to let you try it out with them at the range.

The ones you listed are good reliable shotguns, so I am not saying that any of them are cr@p. What I am saying is if you can go out and shoot them, you will have a better idea of how they will fit you, and if they will work for you. I had to sell off an Ithaca Model 37, 1941 serial number, that I picked up, and fell in love with. I went out and shot a couple rounds of trap with it, and fell out of love in a hurry. The palm swell off the butt stock was uncomfortable to the point of pain, and the safety stuck out on the left side of the trigger group. I went home with a blistered finger, a sore wrist, and a bruised ego, but I learned something. Just because it fits in the shop when you snap it up to your shoulder, that is no gaurantee that it will work perfectly for you once you are afield. It's a lot cheaper if you can try before you buy, than it is to get home and find out what you bought just won't work for you.

And that old Ithaca, i was able to trade it off to a friend for a pair of old Stevens Springfield doubles. I now have 2 in 12 gauge, and 1 20 gauge. All in all, I'd say it worked out good in the end.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have not got to shoot any of them so far but I will definately try to before I buy one. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

One word. Benelli. OK, two: "inertia."

Old 06-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

I do not like ANY inertia or long recoil action shotgun. If I was after grouse in the hills I might have a go with a Franchi 48 in 28 gauge. Beyond that gas autoloaders. Remington, Beretta, Winchester, Browning, and Mossberg. I would say find the one you like best. The VersaMax handles well for me, but I don't like plastic. Maxus also seems to have pretty happy owners.
I did not say they don't work. I said I don't like them. I have owned 10 gauge pumps, and had one specially lightened, so it is not JUST the recoil that puts me off.

What could have happened... did.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
One word. Benelli. OK, two: "inertia."
Montefeltro 20 ga, 3 inch shells, pheasant busting machine. You can tote it all day long up and down those mile long corn fields in South Dakota.

If you have the coin, get the best, Benelli.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Have to hand it to Benelli for one thing, their marketing department are geniuses.

What could have happened... did.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Have to hand it to Benelli for one thing, their marketing department are geniuses.
Yep glue some rubber strips on the side and all of a sudden you have a completely new gun that has some super recoil reduction worth $500 extra because its this years NEW and improved model. But people still buy them so I guess if it works theyre going to keep doing it.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I have to add myself to the benelli wagon. I have a legacy 12 ga that I will never get rid of. My favorite shotgun to shoot and I've shot plenty of autos: beretta, browning, Winchester, and Remington.