Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > best setup for sabot and shotshell.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default best setup for sabot and shotshell.

Im getting the Remington 870 pump for christmas, and I will probably be using it for bird/turkey, but for a while I will also be using it for deer on occasion, anyway, what would be the best way to go about shooting a combination of sabot slugs and shotshells? The Remington catalog says to either get the fully rifled barrel or the fully rifled choke tube? so I was wondering if I put the fully rifled barrel on, would I still be able to shoot shotshells? Or would it be better to get the tube and that way its interchangable?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The best way is to get a second barrel. One smooth bore, the other fully rifled. Cantilevered scope base for the rifled barrel and you will not change zero when you remove/re-install.

Trying to make one barrel work for both applications will give you unsatisfactory results.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just curious. trying to do some research. that is also what it suggested to do in the Remington catalog, but I was curious if the rifled choke tube would be alright, i'm sort of on a budget.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

The rifled choke tube will be OK if it is an extended version. A standard length rifled tube will be a complete waste of money. The problem with the rifled tube is the projectile will be going nearly full speed when it hits the rifling. It likely will not stabilize well. With a fully rifled barrel the projectile will engage the rifling while still accellerating so it is more likely to bite properly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yea that makes sense. I guess I can get the rifled barrel eventually. I dont really know what barrels go for, haven't looked into it yet. I was just looking in to what would be the best way to go before really digging in to it.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
TxG

"so I was wondering if I put the fully rifled barrel on, would I still be able to shoot shotshells?"

Shot through a rifled barrel tends to throw a donut pattern.