Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best semi auto for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5087 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4248

Benelli M-2 or M-4. Remington 1100 tactical is superb as well.

And don't let anyone tell you a pump is more reliable. I've trained hundreds of officers and civilians on tactical shotguns, and most of them preferred an auto after extensive training.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #22

Liked 2309 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Benelli M-2 or M-4. Remington 1100 tactical is superb as well.

And don't let anyone tell you a pump is more reliable. I've trained hundreds of officers and civilians on tactical shotguns, and most of them preferred an auto after extensive training.
i can't speak for all semi auto shotguns, but my mossberg 930 has not had a single malfunction in the first 250-300 rounds, most of those being cheapo wal- mart low brass. i feel it has been very reliable.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Everybody says cheap walmart shells, tell me what's the difference in shells, if i get a hundred pack from gander mountain for 30 bucks and get the same hundred pack from walmart for 22 bucks what's the difference, the only thing I see is the price, same thing in field rounds a box of remington long range rounds in walmart is 7 bucks in Gander mountain 15 bucks what's the difference, there bolth retail stores, what's the difference ,they bolth are taking your money

Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFaTs View Post
Everybody says cheap walmart shells, tell me what's the difference in shells, if i get a hundred pack from gander mountain for 30 bucks and get the same hundred pack from walmart for 22 bucks what's the difference, the only thing I see is the price, same thing in field rounds a box of remington long range rounds in walmart is 7 bucks in Gander mountain 15 bucks what's the difference, there bolth retail stores, what's the difference ,they bolth are taking your money
lol, brooklyn! it makes perfect sense! the shells ARE CHEAPER at wal*mart, so they ARE cheap wal*mart shells!

but my point really was.....traditionally....low brass can give some autoloading shotguns problems cycling. no probs with low brass in my mossberg though.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Some of the auto loading shotguns are reliable. Most of the pumps are reliable but not fool proof. Short stroke a pump and you will jam it. Hard to screw up a double but they can break just like any firearm. If I were buying my wife a shotgun, I would look at a 20 gauge auto or double. I have put a lot of rounds through a pump and I am comfortable with it. I also put a lot of rounds through an SS double and then an OU. Doubles are shorter and easier to clean. I hate the doubles with exposed snaggers/hammers. Stoeger has SS and OU available in short barrel defense configuration. I would go with a single trigger. Shotguns have to be aimed. Patterns are very small at close range.
My house has a monitored alarm system. Most burglars will pass up an alarmed house if you have warning signs posted.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #26

Quote:
JTJ Doubles are shorter and easier to clean. I hate the doubles with exposed snaggers/hammers. Stoeger has SS and OU available in short barrel defense configuration.
mine's a coach gun, i think its a good choice for home d. easy to understand and operate, and effective.

Quote:
Shotguns have to be aimed. Patterns are very small at close range.
while i agree shotguns must be aimed, however small you might think a shotgun pattern is at close range, it is still a 10X (or more) greater area than the small hole create by a pistol or rifle. aim? YES. far easier to hit target with? YES AGAIN.

Quote:
My house has a monitored alarm system. Most burglars will pass up an alarmed house if you have warning signs posted.
i think this is far too overlooked for home defense. criminals don't want attention brought to their activities, and they sure don't want you to know they're coming and have the advantage. alarms or loud dogs are both great deterrents and imo as effective as firearms(though its still a good idea to have a gun around).

but back to the original point: my vote is the mossberg 930 or sa-20. eveybody brags on the benelli, but my friends bennelli won't cycle low brass & won't chamber a round from the tube (you must load one in the chamber). maybe its cause its older, but....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5087 Times on 2893 Posts
Likes Given: 4248

The Benelli M-2 that I have is recoil activated. No, it won';t manually chamber a round from the magazine unless the push the button. Doesn't bother me, since I keep a round chambered.

I've never tried low brass shells in it. It's a defensive weapon, so I keep it loaded with buckshot, and/or slugs, and I practice with same.

the M-4 is a regular gas gun. BTW, the Benelli M-4 is standard issue for the USMC.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #28

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i have a safe, and yeah it was a cheap $88 number.

but i think taking a gun in and out of a safe every time i leave the house would be a real PITA. is that what you do? i'm in and out quite a bit, with a fairly active life style...i'd be pulling my home d gun in and out of my tiny, crowded safe 3-4 times a day likely. i think removing the ammo is easier & quicker myself (with the right type of shotty). jmo.
We don't have children. I keep one shotgun and a pistol that I carry out of the safe. My neighborhood is pretty secure. We have a community watch and my closest neighbors watch each others homes. While county wide there is a lot of property crime. In my neighborhood we have a property crime once every 10 years or so. Most property crimes in this area are committed by the victims own family.

I have a good watchdog as an additional layer of security. My dog is pretty quiet. If she is barking someone will know something is wrong.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #29

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

It seems to me home defense and Marine equipment would have vastly different roles. True home defense and tactical are two different scenarios. Otherwise: EVERY branch of the services use the M-16.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The Benelli M-2 that I have is recoil activated. No, it won';t manually chamber a round from the magazine unless the push the button. Doesn't bother me, since I keep a round chambered.

I've never tried low brass shells in it. It's a defensive weapon, so I keep it loaded with buckshot, and/or slugs, and I practice with same.

the M-4 is a regular gas gun. BTW, the Benelli M-4 is standard issue for the USMC.
ever since a buddy of mine dropped a pistol with a round in the chamber.....causing it to go off and put a hole through a door and into a car bumper......i am NOT a fan of keeping rounds in the chamber!

when it comes to low brass...that is just about saving money shooting. low brass is cheap practice. cheap practice is a good thing imo.

don't get me wrong, i've heard too many good things about the benelli to doubt its a good shotgun. i'm sure they are great. but these features (no rack in and no low brass) would personally turn me away.