Best Place to Store Loaded Home Defense Shotgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best Place to Store Loaded Home Defense Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3262 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 337

When my kids were young, I taught them that guns were dangerous but not secrets. If they wanted to touch one, all they had to do was ask. I lived in the country so I took them out to my personal range and shot with them around. I invited them to shoot, they rarely took me up on the offer, but the offer was ALWAYS on the table. If they asked about the guns, I made a point to drop what I was doing and show, shoot, etc whatever they wanted.

Education is the key. Locking up the gun or hiding it does not remove the curiosity. Unless you lock the gun up 100% of the time they are around, EVENTUALLY they will get a hold of the gun. They MUST understand it is not a toy or some sort of fascinating, taboo object. That is too tempting to kids.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

robocop10mm has the best method....teach the young ones about firearms! All of our grandkids are continually schooled on firearm safety and we shoot regularly when they visit. Our five year old grandaughter has a pair of cap pistols that are treated as real guns and they reside in the safe along with her brothers rifles and our firearms. She is not allowed to handle them unless we're with her and we reinforce the "trigger, muzzle, safe-spot" continually. Eventually she will progress to air-powered guns and then .22's.

To the OP, I keep an 870 under the bed and several handguns in various drawers.....when the kids are around the guns go in the safe except for the LCP I keep in my pocket.