Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Best Place to Store Loaded Home Defense Shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/best-place-store-loaded-home-defense-shotgun-29792/)

grandpag 07-28-2010 08:53 PM

Best Place to Store Loaded Home Defense Shotgun

I have most of my firearms locked in a gun safe. But if I need a home defense shotgun, I won't have time to unlock a safe or a trigger lock. I do however have curious grandchildren frequently in my home. So, what are the best options for storing a loaded home defense shotgun considering the need for quick access vs. safety of young curious grand kids?

CA357 07-28-2010 09:07 PM

That is indeed a tough question. I don't have children or grandchildren, so it's not an issue for me. However, there are a number of folks here that do and I'm sure they'll be along soon to give you some good information.

In the meantime, welcome to this great community. When you have a chance, please head over to the New Member introductions forum and introduce yourself to the gang.

canebrake 07-28-2010 09:10 PM

Lean that loaded puppy up against the nightstand.

When the kids are coming over, or show up, put it in the safe. (The shotty, not the kids!)

orangello 07-28-2010 09:14 PM

I don't have kids either, but i USUALLY don't have a shell chambered & doubt a small child could rack the action on my old Mossberg pump 12. I don't know that i could take that chance with a kid, though.

pumpkinball 07-28-2010 11:01 PM

I don't remember the web site but there's a product out there that holds a shotgun like a horizontal gun rack, but it slides between the matress and boxspings on your bed. Then hand your bed spread over it. Most curious fingers would never notice. Made my own, works great.

Flint Rock 07-28-2010 11:39 PM

My Super Nova is mounted above the door and inside my closet. I can easily step in there and reach up and get it, but at the same time it is out of reach and sight for grandkids.

JonM 07-29-2010 12:33 AM

put a lock on the bedroom door. when they there just lock the door.

Dillinger 07-29-2010 12:40 AM

Good sir, I don't have kids, and I don't have grandkids by default, so feel free to ignore this if you choose.

I do, however, have a background and an extensive network of people that come in and out of the gunshop where I spend hours listening and trying to learn, who have stories to tell.

In your closet, above the door, is at least one stud and possibly two, where you can drive a couple of screws with a couple of dowels attached that will hold your shotgun ( with the safety on and no round in the chamber just in case of course ) well out of the reach of little ones.

If you need it, you go to the closet with an eye on the door and reach above the closet door for your security needs.

This is subtle, and I have it on good "expert" authority that even people looking to search your closet, won't be looking above the doorjam. :cool:

JD

Dillinger 07-29-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint Rock (Post 321964)
My Super Nova is mounted above the door and inside my closet. I can easily step in there and reach up and get it, but at the same time it is out of reach and sight for grandkids.

Indeed. Great minds Flint. Excellent choice Sir. :p

Flint Rock 07-29-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 322006)
In your closet, above the door, is at least one stud and possibly two, where you can drive a couple of screws with a couple of dowels attached that will hold your shotgun ( with the safety on and no round in the chamber just in case of course ) well out of the reach of little ones.
JD

There should be a full width header spanning the space above the door, usually 2x8 boards. You should be able to get a rock solid mount without any trouble.