Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Best Guage? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/best-guage-302/)

shotgunfrenzy 05-08-2007 04:30 PM

Best Guage?

My wife has recently asked to get a shotgun for her defense in our house while I am away on business trips. What is the best guage to get her? Also, what kind of ammo would be appropriate?

UnBound 05-08-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotgunfrenzy (Post 1045)
My wife has recently asked to get a shotgun for her defense in our house while I am away on business trips. What is the best guage to get her? Also, what kind of ammo would be appropriate?

I got my wife a semi-auto 20ga. shotgun for her to use. She can handle my 12ga auto, but can control the 20 much easier. Her gun is 26" barrell with several chokes (we also hunt dove with it), but we keep an improved cylinder choke in there most of the time. When at home it is loaded with heavy birdshot. She can rip off several rounds in a hurry if need be and still maintain control.

This gun is not designed primarily for self-defense, but it serves dual roles nicely.

ak47 05-08-2007 10:20 PM

I think you should get your wife a 12-gage shotgun. Not sure what kind of ammo you would use. :)

jakethe_snake 05-15-2007 11:40 PM

I would think maybe Dove shot, With a Twelve Guage.

gopher 05-28-2007 10:38 AM

at lest #4s

Brent L 05-28-2007 02:52 PM

Shotgunfrenzy, has your wife ever shot a shotgun? Can she handle recoil?Is she capable of hitting what she shoots at?

If the answer is YES to ALL these questions, the answer is this:

Purchase a 12 bore, pump shotgun, 18" barrel,cylinder choke, and use #4 buckshot.

Forget about bird shot, #4, and all that other rubbish! You need penetration and those don't cut it. It takes multiple pellet strikes with a shot load,the larger the shot the fewer pellets it takes to achieve the end result.

Do yourself and her a favor and make sure she practices with it often.

robocop10mm 07-03-2007 06:20 PM

best gauge

Not a thing wrong with a 20 ga. No matter what, she needs to practice, alot. She will be more likely to be comfortable with the 20 ga. There are good things to say about buckshot and birdshot. For me, I prefer the OO buck because I do not plan on simply barricading myself in my bedroom. I have others in the house that also have to be defended. I will have to take the fight to the intruder. The fight may even end up outside. 7 OO's in the tube and 5 slugs on the buttstock carrier. I am bringing a hell of a fight with me.

SheGUN 07-05-2007 12:38 PM

I don't see why she couldn't handle a 12ga! I have a Mossberg 12ga, and while it takes a bit of getting used to the recoil, it's not something that can't be dealt with. She just needs to learn to hold it in tight, and lean into the shot. And it's not as if she's going to be using it for plinking. She just has to be able to handle it for one magazine (5 or so shots) on a pump-action.

I say 12 gauge with buckshot. No-one's gonna walk away from that..........

RONSERESURPLUS 07-26-2007 09:08 PM

bEST GAGE

hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I've always been of the thought 12GA and you can "tailor" the Brass to low and smaller shot and it will be easier for a child or woman to use! Then work up to 00 or # 4 buck, as time and experience allow? Just my thought, but seen it done a few thousand times?

pioneer461 07-26-2007 11:53 PM

How bout one of the new Taurus "Judge" revolvers? Shoots 45 Colt, and / or 410 gage shot, which includes buck and larger game loads. Handles like a pistol, shoots like a shotgun.