best goose hunting shotgun for 13 year old.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > best goose hunting shotgun for 13 year old.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default best goose hunting shotgun for 13 year old.

just want to get ur opinions on best goose hunting shotgun for 13 year old male. He is not recoil sensitive(only shot 2.75 inch #6 birdshot, didn't mind it). But has never hunted. Currently using remington 870 wingmaster 12 gauge. Opinions please.

Thanks.

Last edited by shaneo206; 04-15-2009 at 02:03 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

If the ole 870 fits him well and it patterns well, I see nothing wrong with it, many hunters and hunters sons have used that firearm for harvesting game. I love the 870 and think it's a great choice

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You will find that auto-loading shot guns have less-felt recoil. This will possibly move him up to 3" loads designed for waterfowl.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 12 ga is what I learned on and got the hell kicked outta me.

My first shotgun was a Old full size Long Tom savage single shot 12ga with full choke, the first time I shot it I thought I broke my nose, it dident help after that, I flinched allot and missed quite a few simple shots.
I"m starting my boy out with a 20 gage, seems he isant getting beat around and he 's stll small (10yro) so he has a time of it just holding it up let alone getting beat by recoil as he would useing a 12ga.
a 20 ga with a youth stock and swap to adult stock later as they grow
its like giving your kid a 26" cruser bicycle to learn on, yea they might get it to go but they wont enjoy it much as it doesent fit as well as a 16" BMX something they can handle well and have fun mastering
A tool that fits ther stature is a fun tool, is a used tool = confidence in the field.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Depends on the kid. I was a big kid, and I started getting serious about ducks when I was 13 with a Stevens 311 12 gauge shooting Peters 1-1/4 oz duck loads. Recoil was no problem, but I wanted a third shot, and I was also a big dove hunter, and I became a big skeet shooter. When I was 15, I got an 1100, and never looked back. If you are willing to spend a bit more on Hevi-shot or tungsten matrix shells, and wait until they are in range, you can definitely kill geese with a 2-3/4" 12 gauge, and if he is already shooting a Wingmaster I would say you are there. I "graduated" to a 3" Wingmaster when I was 26. I was thinking about it, and a buddy's brother let me borrow his for dove hunting. I killed 12 doves with 16 shots, and I was sold. I never shot another gun, before or since, as well as I did the Wingmaster I bought 6 days after that dove hunt.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #6

i concur that an autoloader would be a great gun for heavy magnum loads,with a young shooter, i might also suggest you go with a beretta al390 or 391 and you can even get them with composite stocks. The beretta operating system only uses enough gas to cycle the action and all other gases are vented safely out. This system is extremely effective for managing felt recoil and i know of no other operating system that is more reliable, efficient or able to go for extended periods of time under heavy shooting conditions without being cleaned, and function reliably every time.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

A Japanese Browning Auto-5 with the invector chokes. 3 inch mag version. Set it up for the 2 3/4 shells for now then when he gets bigger he can move up to the 3 inch magnums.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Check out the Benneli comfort full power less recoil.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #9

Just about any shotgun larger than 20ga will do the trick. Just remember your effective killing range, it will change with gauge and load.