Best combat shotgun?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Best combat shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best combat shotgun?

Would anyone share some personal experiences with shotguns?

What are the pros and cons of each?
Mossberg? Benelli?

Need recommendations for self defense shotguns please. Price is not an issue. Quality is what i am looking for
schnuffleupagus Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Well how about a start with youtube comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSxOdK4SqfXx82ydwuXb03Q-Q9GYDKxG7
Mossberg 500 vs Rem. 870
My thought is : If you have a shotgun you like now find one that operates as close to that as possible.
I have three, two of which are Rem. 870. One in Express, one in Wingmaster. The other gun is an H&R Pardner that is a short barrel (18.5") 3" 12 Gauge that operates exactly as an 870.
The old saying beware the man with only one gun as he will know how to use it.
I can load, unload, put on or off safe, all blind folded or in the dark. ( I would however need some light to tell which load is going in.)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint View Post
Would anyone share some personal experiences with shotguns?

What are the pros and cons of each?
Mossberg? Benelli?

Need recommendations for self defense shotguns please. Price is not an issue. Quality is what i am looking for
Quality, as in fit in finish, may vary, but they all work sure as he**.

Go with pump action, for best reliability and ease of maintenance.

If you prefer to keep the round chambered, on safe, go with a Mossberg. Safety is on top, visible as you hold the gun. The Benellis and the Remys have cross-trigger safeties, harder to see. You need to feel the button with your finger.

If you keep the chamber empty, safety off, that doesn't matter. Best you should do is operate and dry fire all of them, and compare. Don't spend on doodads. Be sure to get a fixed shoulder stock with a cushioned buttpad.
People Like This 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Liked 379 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post

Rock Island makes a fine 1911 for about $400 that is just as dependable as a 45 5x that price. My 870 is over 20 years old and has never failed to fire. I'd say as long as it holds 5 rounds and has a reputation, you'll be hard pressed to go wrong with a sub 1k shot gun. Sorry I can't name top tier shotties, but Mossberg and Remington have been keeping homes safe for quite a few years. Save the money and use it on slugs.
People Like This 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

I would recommend mossberg persuader or cruiser if not those then a Remington,I also like Benellis pump shotguns simply because of there forend shell stop button I have a nova but never shot any of Benellis tactical shotguns.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

Speaking of Rock Island, they are also selling a home defense pump, the M5. It is a fantastic value. For $225 you get a stainless steel one-piece barreled action, a jeweled SS bolt, top tang safety, and the smoothest racking slide around. A stock recess holds two more shells, so it is in effect a 7-loader. ---Personal notes from this weekends gun show!

It is underpriced for now, because it is Philippino made, but just as with the 1911, the price will start creeping up once it earns recognition.

Armscor is the manufacturer to watch, they are innovative and moving on up.

Added: forgot to mention one quibble about the M5. The buttpad is too thin for a 12 gauge. I'd be prepared not to shoulder it before firing a quick shot.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-31-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome info guys. Appreciate your advices.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

My experience while on TEU (SWAT) was the pistol grip only shotguns are worthless for anything other than a contact shot. We used 870's with a full stock and even though I shot LH they worked fine. Right now my personal home defense shot gun is a Moss 500 in 20 ga with the bbl cut to 18 inches with 3 inch Mag #3 buck shot (20 pellet). You do not need a 12 ga to be VERY effective on a human target at close range. I have shot two people (legally on duty) with a 12 ga 00 buck (9 pellet) loads and they did not impress me!
Hope this helped.
Jim

Old 05-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #9

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

I have a mossberg 590a1 "us service model", or so they call it. Its supposed to be the more combat-centric version of the mossberg 590. It has a heavy barrel and the metal trigger guard vs the standard 590 polymer one. Its a rock solid shotgun and i do like it a little better than my Rem 870. Both guns are great and you cant go wrong with either. As for Benelli, id buy a moss or rem before i dropped the extra cash on a pump benelli. Although if i was in in the market for a semi auto shotgun, then i would consider benelli. Youtube is your friend when trying to compare shotgun to shotgun. I feel that between the 870 and the 590, its a matter of personal preference. They are both great, reliable shot guns.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post

If you prefer to keep the round chambered, on safe, go with a Mossberg. Safety is on top, visible as you hold the gun. The Benellis and the Remys have cross-trigger safeties, harder to see. You need to feel the button with your finger.

If you keep the chamber empty, safety off, that doesn't matter. Best you should do is operate and dry fire all of them, and compare. Don't spend on doodads. Be sure to get a fixed shoulder stock with a cushioned buttpad.
Ya don't have enough time to put a pad on in a defense situation so make it permanent on the gun.
kfox75 Likes This