Best choke for home defense shotgun? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Best choke for home defense shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I own both and never have had any problems with either one.
Yup. That's the simple truth.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #22
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2639 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 14567

To answer the original question, (and hopefully get this thread back on track), i have an 870 with the 20 inch deer barrel with an improved Cylinder choke built into the barrel. I get my best pattern from 2 3\4 inch #9 buck made by Winchester. This was determined after shooting 5 rounds of Federal, Remington, Winchester, Estate, and a couple other brands that I have forgotten at this point in my life. The pattern sizes at 25 feet, were close enough that IIRC the brands were all pretty much equal ( the end size difference between tightest and widest was less than 1 mm.), and all would do the job if needed.

I also ran the same test with my daughter's 870 in 20 gauge, with the 21 inch Rem-choke barrel. This is where it got interesting, and slightly counter intuitive. All tests were with 15 rounds of each of the above mentioned brands 2 3\4 inch 00 Buck, and a full, mod. and IC choke that came with the shotgun.

The best performer with the IC was federal, the worst, Winchester, mod Remington was best, Winchester was the worst, Full, the shot deformed too much no matter what the brand, but the federal was best with only 2 fliers, and the Remington was the worst, with 4 fliers, one pellet was more tha 4 inches away from the rest of the pattern.

If I had to put a weeks pay on it, and tell you what choke to go with, I would pass. The individual shotgun is the X factor when it comes to loads that work best, and what choke to use. In other words, what works in mine may or may not work in yours. A good rule of thumb is this though. If most HD guns are leaving the factory with an Improved Cylinder choke nowadays, the manufactures probably have the right idea as to what works. They spend millions in product research when designing new products, and if they are equiping the fixed choke models with an IC choke, it will probably do the job.

Since you are looking for a recomendation, i will side with most on here and say either modified or I\C. Both will do the job, one will be just a little bit tighter than the other. best of luck.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default skeet choke should work very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
I already have a skeet choke in there. It is threaded
The choke you have would be great for a home defense shotgun. The skeet choke sit between a cylinder bore and improved cylinder. Don't think you need to change it unless you want to hunt or shoot trap (the skeet choke is obviously good for skeet and will work for 98% of the sporting clay stations).
People Like This 
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #24

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Here's the muzzle on one of mine -- a 20" WingMaster. All Remington. It's more tactical and definitely outdoorsy with its usual modified choke here, but 00 Buck would rarely ever be loaded in it even there.
all-remington-muzzle.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #25

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
...I get my best pattern from 2 3\4 inch #9 buck made by Winchester...
#9 buck???

Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #26

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Duplicate...

Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Stay with the skeet choke. If you want to go with buckshot I would consider changing to #4 Buck or possible consider BB or #2 bird shot as it has less of a chance of getting out of the house in case of a miss. If its a hit just about anywhere with a shotgun and the confrontation is over. Just remember only in the movies does a shotgun spray a whole wall and take out 6 bad guys with one shot. At average inside the home distances at full cylinder the pattern will only be the size of a small plate.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

No. 4 shot will penetrate as deep as #00 and has a LOT more pellets. THAT'S a FACT !!!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #29

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vearl Brown View Post
No. 4 shot will penetrate as deep as #00 and has a LOT more pellets. THAT'S a FACT !!!
No, actually, it doesn't and it isn't. But it's a strawman point you make. The FACT of the matter is that some buckshot smaller than #00 Buck will penetrate ENOUGH and has more pellets, creates more and more-useful wound channels and CNS disruption, and is more likely to hit in the first place so IS more effective and less likely to OVER penetrate. #0 Buckshot and #1 Buckshot, maybe #4 Buckshot and even BB shot at close range, are better than "double-aught-buck."

.33 caliber pellets going THROUGH someone are not ideal!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #30

Liked 3621 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

It's really very simple!!

MODIFIED!!

Both thumbs pressing down on adam's apple and then squeezing with all of your might, 'til BG turns blue & stops kicking!!

Oh, this is for a shotgun......now I understand!

Last edited by eatmydust; 06-20-2013 at 12:35 AM.
readygirl Likes This