Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Best bet for a cheap-o shot gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Best bet for a cheap-o shot gun

I would like to experiment with making stocks and such. I watched my friend do it, and it looked incredibly fun.

I think shot gun stocks would be the easiest to start and learn with. You know, they just bolt on. SImple simple. Which will give me freedom to experiment with hand grips, curves and cheek rests.

So what is a good model to go for to try out things like this? Also something with a wide variety of aftermarket barrels. Just incase I want to go totally custom.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gee, I'd think the AK47 stock would be the easiest to start with...

Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as firearms go, Rem. model 870 and Mossberg model 500 are good platforms to start with if you want to customize a shot gun. Ruger 10/22 is a good choice in a rifle. Lots of after market parts for these firearms. Check midwayusa.com. for stocks, barrels, stock customizing tools and book, etc. HJ

Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Gee, I'd think the AK47 stock would be the easiest to start with...
True, but most expensive to get going.

And to shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
As far as firearms go, Rem. model 870 and Mossberg model 500 are good platforms to start with if you want to customize a shot gun. Ruger 10/22 is a good choice in a rifle. Lots of after market parts for these firearms. Check midwayusa.com. for stocks, barrels, stock customizing tools and book, etc. HJ
Hey thanks. Yeah, I was going to go after a 10/22, but my buddy has one and built it up pretty well. I want something more original. I was going to do that before, but I turned the other direction.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #5

Default Question back to you.

Many moons ago I was asked a question along these lines? Perhaps, this post can give me an answer? I'm not sure I ever found the correct answer to this question in all my years of searching?

Which is better in your opinion?

Big old good ones?

or

Good old big ones?

Shotguns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rugermike; 02-27-2009 at 06:46 PM.