Berg 500 tactical conversion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Berg 500 tactical conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Berg 500 tactical conversion

I picked up a Very clean and hardly used Mossberg 500 pump in a trade the other day. I have plenty of shotguns to play around with in the field, so I'm thinking about turning this one into a tactical model. Any suggestions on where to start with a good kit? Any folks on here ever tried the same project? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

this was the first step in my 500 conversion... very nice package easy to install and give you some steel iron sights.

MOSSBERG 500 HIGH CAPACITY SHOTGUN KIT - Brownells

ive restocked it and put on a hogue forearm as well picatinny rail on top... between brownells and amazon for all parts.

good luck

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #3

Nice setup sgttess! How easy is it to go from one length barrel to another? Is is something you could do a few times a year, or more like something you would do one time and leave it?

Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

removing the magazine tube isnt very hard, i did it all by hand without tools, i could reconfigure it to the original tube and use in less than five minutes. a great purchase, very happy with the quality and ease of operation.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Nice setup sgttess!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I converted my old Mossberg 500 Turkey gun to HD duty a few years ago with great success. All I really needed to do was get a replacement 18 1/2" barrel for it and in about 5-minutes it was converted. The gun came from the factory with a camo. paint job, so I added some paint to the new short barrel to match and it was good-to-go. It has one-shot less capacity than my factory Remington 870 Tactical that came with a +2 extension on it, but that's not really a big deal to me.

mossberg-500-01.jpg  

Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default picture

view here of the almost finished product so others on this thread can see the fruits of my labor. questions about parts? let me know

dscn5349-1.jpg   dscn5350-1.jpg   dscn5354-1.jpg   dscn5353-1.jpg   dscn5358-1.jpg  

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #8
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I converted my old Mossberg 500 Turkey gun to HD duty a few years ago with great success. All I really needed to do was get a replacement 18 1/2" barrel for it and in about 5-minutes it was converted. The gun came from the factory with a camo. paint job, so I added some paint to the new short barrel to match and it was good-to-go. It has one-shot less capacity than my factory Remington 870 Tactical that came with a +2 extension on it, but that's not really a big deal to me.
Great looking 500! If that is your home defense shotgun do you keep the sling on it all the time?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
Great looking 500! If that is your home defense shotgun do you keep the sling on it all the time?
Thx, I also installed a fiber optic bead on the front of the new 18 1/2" barrel. It's a very naturally pointing and easy to shoot shotgun. It has been flawless without any failures of any kind.

The sling is a holdover from when the gun gets used as a turkey gun with the long barrel. However, when the gun is on HD duty it just sits naked in the corner near the bed. (no kids). BTW, I keep one in chamber, cocked and safety on. I'm not going to count on racking the action to chamber a round being enough to scare off the threat. The only sound they will hear is a very large boom as the 00 buck goes flying.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

I would consider getting a heat shield. They are only like 30 bucks and you never know when it would come in handy. I highly recommend one, i put 50 rounds of 00buck and some rifled slugs through my mossberg and immediately touched the barrel afterwards, a little warm but holdable. And **** they look class.