Beretta A-400 Unico Kick off problem - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Beretta A-400 Unico Kick off problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 131 Times on 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebirddogs View Post
This is my own personal opinion of the A-400 which you won't find in any of the reviews. This should however be a refreshing change from all the gushing and drooling of Beretta's paid off auditors.
It surely is that.
I can not say that Beretta's and especially Benelli's marketing hasn't been very successful, but I think I am experiencing a kind of backlash personally. I know Beretta makes and has made, some quite good gas semis, I just don't like their feel as well as some others, but the quality is there. But I am almost to the point I wouldn't look at a Benelli if you paid me. I think both of them search hard for tiny unneeded changes so they can jack up the prices even more, and it bugs me.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #12

Default kick in face problem

I have long experienced this kick in the face problem and have reduced it significantly by eliminating the "drop at comb". Use the shim that came with the gun that forces the stock to be straight like a "trap" stock-when the gun recoils it causes the gun to come back "straight" instead of the ramp that is on a conventional stock which actually "rises" as it comes back.
It causes the gun to shoot higher by a little bit but now I can see the bird above the barrel and almost all my shots are at rising birds anyway so it works out real well. ALso, does the a400 come with an adjustment for "cast on" or cast off? using that feature you can also direct the rearward motion of the gun AWAY from your face but you need to make sure it does not throw you sighting alignment out which you will be able to test on the patterning board. We had a Browning Lighting in the family that none of us could shoot because of the headache it would generate. We finally bought an replacement stock (rough) and cut it down with a rasp from the"fat" factory stock and now we all can shoot it with no problems.
Good luck!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 AM   #13

Default Beretta a-400 unico. Yet another problem

I originally purchased this shotgun about a year ago with the kick-off option on the butt of the stock. Problem #1 developed when I began to pattern the gun before turkey season. The kick-off was causing the gun to move backward a good 1/2" everytime I shot it. (This was much more notable with 3 1/2" ammo.) This motion was chipping away at my cheek bone (anchor point) which made shooting a lot less fun.
Problem #2 was noted a short while later. The aluminum action was begining to chip away at the point of the rail when the hulls were being ejected. This resulted after approximately 300 rounds.
I returned the gun to Cabelas in June. A month later Beretta replaced the gun with a new model a-400. Minus the optional kick-off. As a result the new gun was much improved in the felt recoil department. No more beatings to the 'ol cheekbone. All of my shotgun problems were now solved, life was great or so I thought.
Problem #3. After cycling around 400 rounds the new gun was working perfectly. It would handle anything I fed it. Until a recent pheasant hunt. Suddenly and quite unexpectantly, while attempting to shoot a late season Colorado rooster, the gun failed for the first time. The action failed to close. After a good deal of frustration, two disassemblies in the field and a few choice words about Beretta autoloaders; I discovered the problem. The spring-loaded magazine cleaning mechanism failed. There was one end of the washer stuck and I do mean stuck! Around the self cleaning plug. (And yes I do clean my guns!) This caused the gun to be unusable. Fortunately a good friend loaned me a "real" gun; a Beretta onyx over/under to complete my hunt.
I've recently returned the gun to Cabela's, which will probably be shipped to Italy for inspection and repair. I hope to be able to talk them into a trade for an over/under. A Perennia would be nice upgrade, but its a bit out of my price range. I do however have a Silver Pigeon 20 ga. which I thoroughly enjoy.