Beretta A-400 Unico Kick off problem
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Beretta A-400 Unico Kick off problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta A-400 Unico Kick off problem

I've recently purchased a Beretta A-400 Unico with the Kick-off system. I've used the gun to shoot sporting clays and penraised birds with light loads, and one time to hunt snow geese with 3" steel mags. The gun has been a pleasure to shoot for the most part, but I've recently discovered what could be a serious problem. A few weeks ago I was patterning my gun for turkey hunting; I set a target at 30 yards and fired a 3 1/2" / 2 oz. / #5 shot / Remington turkey load with a full choke, and the recoil was quite noticable. Surprisingly the felt recoil was not a punishment to my shoulder, but to my cheek bone (anchor point). I didn't think too much of it and moved the target out to 40 yards. The result of the second shot was the same. I felt discomfort as a result of the 2 shots for a week or so. The gun patterned just fine so I've been turkey hunting with it, but haven't fired it since. Has anyone had a simlar problem with this gun? I'm blaming the problem on the kick-off system as it moves the stock approximately 1/2" back when fired, but I just don't know for sure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #2

The Berretta A400 Xplor Unico is a relatively new style shotgun.
Have you contacted Berretta's customer service for help/advice?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Liked 191 Times on 142 Posts

You have pinpointed your issue. The "Kick-Off" system lets the gun move and insulates your shoulder from some of the recoil. Be gald you didn't get a Benelli. They are even lighter. Their "innovative" two piece with rubber in the middle stock does keep recoil off your shoulder, but it hurt my hand, and if you have a firm cheek weld style or a length of pull on the short side it may hurt. You will find that a big majority of the people who say "there are many factors like gun fit, that determine felt recoil" shoot inertia actions. The Beretta gas autos do as good a job as any of taming recoil, but Newton understood it all long ago. All that energy has to go somewhere, and the less gun weight there is to absorb some the more is going somewhere else.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #4

Good Point, Virginian, and I agree. I've shoot 3 1/2" loads through a Remmy 870 Super Magnum with no discomfort at all, but I've heard people talk how 3 1/2" loads are brutal. Everyone's different- littlebirddogs, If the "Kick-OFF" system isn't malfunctioning maybe try 3" loads and see how they feel.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #5

Default Beretta A-400 Unico Kick-off Problem

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try contacting Beretta and ask about solutions. I'll let you know how helpful they are and what I come up with. I hope I don't have to change the stock, but that's what I suspect. The gun does come with the kick-off feature on the gun butt as an "option." Now I may just understand why. As for the 3" loads being a problem - I did notice the problem but to a lesser degree than the 3 1/2" loads when firing at the pattern board, but not when shooting overhead at passing snow geese. I understand and can appreciate the lighter gun = increased felt recoil theory. However the kick-off system is supposed to remedy this. At least according to Beretta.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Default Stock shaping

All Beretta, and most other, shotguns have stocks that slope downward toward the butt on top where your cheek weld occurs. The Extrema, Xplor and Ultima kick-off guns all do this; but the Xplor may have very slightly more slope than the others.

This is the reverse of what you want in the cheek weld area for any gun with really heavy recoil or a compressing recoil system that lets the gun move toward your face. If Beretta doesn't give you something satisfactory, and if it was my gun, I would (reluctantly on such an expensive shotgun) get out my tools and locate where your cheekbone welds to the stock. Then, starting about 1" toward the butt from there, taper the stock downward straight to the bottom of the pistol grip area. This should result in a declining cheek contact area that will move away from your face instead of into it. And, it shouldn't change the weld height significantly. A smooth, slippery cheek contact surface will also help.

Last edited by firefoxtoo; 05-14-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #7

Default Beretta A-400 problems

I've heard back from Beretta's tech help department, and they asked me if the gun is too short. It may be just a bit short, but that still does not really explain the problem or a solution. I've considered applying a patch of moleskin with an adhesive backing to ease in sliding of the stock, but this may cause a slight misalignment. When using a light face mask while turkey hunting the gun did not seem to catch my cheeck bone as before. It has been suggested by a fellow clays shooter to shave the comb of the stock, which seems a bit drastic and may also void the warranty. If I do go this route I'd rather get a custom stock built.
There is yet another problem that has surfaced with this gun however. The aluminum action has recieved notable chipping from spent shells ejecting and catching the edge of the ejection port. This is after firing only about 350 rounds. I can only imagine what it would look like after 10,000. Which is the number of shells Beretta claims they fired through the A-400 Xplor Unico gun without needing a cleaning.
I purchased the gun from Cabela's back in February and I'm considering returning it this weekend for a refund or some type of exchange if possible. I find it very difficult to believe that I'm the only person in the world who has had problems with this shotgun. After all it came out in October; not last week.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 AM   #8

If it's not working for you I believe returning it
would be the best option over fabricating something to make it work.

Keep us updated.... if you exchange...I would like to hear what you get.
Good Luck!!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #9

I was saving money to buy this shotgun! ($3,000 around here)
Not anymore, I think Iíll be getting something else.

When I was looking at the A-400 shotgun over the web I fell inlove with it. But I was wondering about the part that has the hydraulics in the stock, the material there on the outside of the stock is it some kind of rubber? cause if it is, I don't think it would last for long :S

I own a Beretta 391 Urika in 12 ga and I canít complain. It leaves a trace too where the cartridge is ejected but nothing gets chipped off.
I think Iíll be getting myself a 391 in 20ga.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:01 AM   #10

Default Beretta kick-off

The main kick off system is inside the stock, it's a hydraulic damper and seems to be working just fine. (I think Beretta has a real keeper in that design.) The optional kick-off 2 is the 2 hydraulic damper system located on the butt of the stock, and this seems to be the problem area. It not only allows the stock and the entire gun to move back when fired, but its also a bit ugly to look at. If you appreciate the line of a fine gun and don't like the look of a plastic stock very much the optional kick off at the tail end is probably not for you. The Xtra grain finish looks pretty good (which is just a veneer replacing the god awful Xtra wood that they used to have on their stocks.) Beretta does have a good pad installed on the gun, it has a nice trigger assembly, and is really easy to break down and clean. Also the barrel is very good and overall the gun looks a heck of a lot better than the new Benelli. (Which in my opinion isn't saying much.) All this being said Beretta probably should have passed on the aluminum action, and gone with titanium or a suitable and durable alloy. This is my own personal opinion of the A-400 which you won't find in any of the reviews. This should however be a refreshing change from all the gushing and drooling of Beretta's paid off auditors. But then again if I were offered a free gun rather than paying $1600 I'd probably be inclined to tolerate it a bit more.